If you have read the complete application process procedures (below), you can apply for a position. Required documents should be submitted electronically with the application. While electronically attaching all supporting documents is HIGHLY preferred, you may mail or drop off your supporting documents if necessary.
After the closing date of a position, all applications will be screened. Applicants who advance to the interview stage of the process will be contacted. After the final selection is made and upon School Board approval, all applicants will be notified electronically that the position has been filled.
Please note that vacancy announcements that are listed as “Open Until Filled” are on an extended recruitment schedule. Therefore, the process from recruitment through selection may appear to take longer than normal. Please wait at least 7 days after submission of your application and all supporting documents before making an inquiry.
View Job Postings This is where you apply for current job openings
Anticipated Openings for 2016-2017 accepting applications for ALL areas: Substitute applications are being accepted in the following areas: Math (Secondary) Bus Operator Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry & Middle School Science Clerical Business Education Custodian Special Education Instructional Assistant Reading Specialist (Master's Required) Security Specialist Pre K-5 School Nurse Special Education PK-12 Teacher Early Childhood Special Education Library Media Specialist School Nurse English (Secondary) Spanish (Secondary) Technology Education Gifted and Talented Spanish (Elementary) Title 1 Reading Title 1 Math Music Elementary Library Media Specialist (Elementary)
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Richmond Public Schools. To complete an application, please read the information below and follow the steps indicated:
Step 1: Application
To be considered as an applicant, please read below:
- Application must be completed online.
- For certified and administrative applications, email addresses of three professional references must be included on the applicant reference form when completing the application. Professional references should include principals and/or superintendents from contracted educational work experiences within the past three years. If experience was not within the past three years, provide references from last contracted experience. For beginner teachers, include references from student teaching supervisor(s) and/or co-operating teacher(s). Failure to provide accurate information will result in a delay in the employment process.
- For classified and substitute/temporary applications, email addresses of professional references must be included on the applicant reference form when completing the application and/or upload written reference letters. Three professional references are required for classified positions and two are required for substitute/temporary positions. A combination of professional reference email addresses and letters are accepted. A professional reference is a person that can vouch for your knowledge, skills and abilities for the job. This person is typically a current or former supervisor, colleague, or lead worker.
- Official transcripts are required upon employment if applicable to the position. Electronic transcripts are considered as unofficial.
- Upload Virginia Praxis II, VCLA, RVE and/or a copy of your Virginia Licensure if applicable to the position.
- When applying for a teacher position, must complete the Gallup TeacherInsight assessment when completing your application.
- Applications for all teaching positions are accepted on a continual basis. We do not create a specific posting for every teaching position. Candidates are asked to keep their applications current as positions sometimes open during the school year. If your application is more than six months old, you should update it, so we are aware of your continued interest.
- Required documents should be submitted electronically with the application. While electronically uploading all supporting documents is HIGHLY preferred, you may mail or drop off your supporting documents if necessary.
- The U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization require all applicants to submit proof of identity and the legal right to work in the United States. This evidence of proof--either the original or a notarized copy--must be shown to the human resources personnel upon employment. A U.S. Passport or your driver license (with photograph) and social security card will be adequate in most cases. You will also be required to sign a federal government form verifying your identity and eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Fingerprinting, drug/ alcohol testing, and tuberculosis screening are requirements for employment.
Substitute/Temporary Applicant Requirements
- Substitute Teacher and Instructional Assistant applicants are required to have a minimum of 60 semester hours from an accredited institution. (Official transcripts should reflect a minimum of a 2.5 average) The ParaPro Assessment (score of 455) will be accepted in lieu of 60 semester hours to become an Instructional Assistant.
- All applicants must include email addresses of professional references on the applicant reference form and/or upload letter of references.
- A criminal background investigation, tuberculosis and drug/alcohol testing will be conducted as a condition of employment.
Selected candidates will not begin work until all required documents have been submitted and all pre employment screening has been successfully completed.
Step 2: Appointment
If you are recommended for employment, a representative of the Human Resources Department will contact you to offer the position and arrange a time to complete the necessary paperwork.
Please note: Only a representative of the Human Resources Department is authorized to make offers of employment.
Information about teacher licensure in Virginia.
Step 3: Orientation
All new hires must attend a new employee orientation session following acceptance of employment. For new teachers, this orientation usually takes place in July or August.
- Application must be completed online.