October 5, 2020,
Greeting OGBES Teddy Bears,
During the week of October 12, 2020, your child will take a MAP*Growth Test remotely from NWEA on their RPS chrmebook or other non-RPS device. MAP Growth scores help teachers check student performance by measring achievement and growth. Teachers use results to individualize classroom lessons and set personal learning goals for students. For this reason, it is critical that students complete the test independenently so that teachers will have the best picture of their current needs.
Note that RPS issued tablets will not support the assessment. Students will be able to use either their RPS issued chromebooks or other available personal laptop or computer. Students who do not have access to a supported device will test at a later date. Because your child will be taking the assessment remotely, we ask that you take the following steps:
1. Students can use any of the following device for the assessment: RPS issued chromebook or Personal laptop or other supported devices
2. Navigate to https://check.nwea.org/ on your child's device to diagnose any technical issues that need to be resolved and use the Chromebook Troubleshooting Guide (Spanish verison here) or Device Setup Guide to troubleshoot any issues and review student directions. Let your child's teacher know if the device did not pass the readiness check.
3. Ensure that he/she/they has access to all testing accommodations outlined in their IEP and or LIEP plan.
4. Work with your child to develop a plan to minimize distractions during testing.
5. Notify your child's teacher for assistance with any of these steps.
2. Please do not help the student answer unfamiliar questions (ALL students will get half of the questions wrong--and that's OK--it is how the test "finds out" what a students knows/remembers.) This is NOT a high-stakes test--it is simply a tool to help teachers personalize instruction. If a student is stuck, just tell them to give it their best guess and move on.
Even in these very challenging times, we are truly excited to focus on your child's individual growth and achievement. We sincerely appreciate your partnership and believe that the information we gain through these assessmnets is worth the effort and will help us maximize student learning this year. For more information about MAP Growth, please review this brief video explaining the assessment, The Parent Toolkit and The Family Guide (pdf), available in Spanish here.
(Translation of this letter here)
James A. Gordon, III
If you are NOT receiving the daily RPS Direct messages from Mr. Kamras you can sign up using this link.
RPS Registration and Enrollment ( for new students, PreK or Kindergarten)
Open Enrollment and School Applications - The school application window for open enrollment, specialty schools, and regional governor’s schools is now open! Applications will be accepted until December 1, 2020 at 4:30 PM. To learn more about the application process, and to get started, visit the RPS Enroll Portal.
Family Support Helpline - Questions about reopening? Call the RPS Family Support Helplne at (804) 780-6195 and learn more about other resources available to families.
"RPS Direct" Emails from Superintendent Kamras
Dear #RPSStrong Family, Great news! About 7,000 Chromebooks from our June (!) order of 10,000 have shipped and are scheduled to arrive later this week! Once they're here, our technology vendor will configure them for student use and then deliver them directly to schools. If all goes smoothly, this means we should be able to begin swapping out tablets late next week. Please keep an eye out for distribution details from your student's school. Thank you for your patience! I also want to take this opportunity to thank the many teachers, principals, and families who reached out to share their very thoughtful concerns about using letter grades at the elementary level during our virtual semester. I'm happy to share that I'll be recommending to the School Board on Monday that we switch to E (Exceeds Expectations), S (Satisfactory), N (Needs Improvement), and U (Unsatisfactory) for K-5 students during the first semester. I'll share more details about this at our meeting on Monday. Again, thank you for the very helpful feedback. Enormous gratitude also goes to Senator Tim Kaine for speaking to a George Wythe government class today about his RVA roots. He charged our students to get involved and make their voices heard, especially right now. He also shared how important bilingualism has been for his work (he's one of only 3 Senators who are fluent in Spanish). We're so grateful to Senator Kaine for his leadership and his support of RPS!
Dear #RPSStrong Family, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Three quick reminders tonight: The portal to apply for specialty schools and out-of-zone schools is open through December 1. For more information, please visit rvaschools.net/enroll. We also encourage you to join one of the three remaining virtual information sessions. Just click on the following links to register: October 28 (4:30 - 6 pm), November 5 (5:30 - 7 pm), and November 19 (5:30 - 7 pm). The Benefits Open Enrollment season will end this Friday, October 30. For more information, please visit the benefits section of our website. Don't forget that we are closed for students and staff next Tuesday, November 3, for Election Day! RVA, get out there and VOTE! With great appreciation, Jason