#SomosRPSRichmond Public Schools is committed to increasing our engagement with, and elevating the voices of, our LatinX students, families, and staff. Towards that end, I'm excited to share the following:
You’ll also see LatinX Heritage Month come to life on our social media platforms through our #SomosRPS campaign and with a special design in the RPS Bonfire store!
- RPS en Vivo - RPS en Vivo will launch this Thursday at 5:30 pm on the RPS en Español Facebook page. Similar to RPS Live!, RPS en Vivo will be a weekly broadcast about everything happening in RPS, with a special focus on topics relevant to our LatinX familes.
- Partnership with Radio PODER 1380 (Spanish Radio) - We now have weekly RPS segments every Thursday morning at 9 am to share important information with the LatinX community.
- RPS Live! Episode Featuring LatinX Leaders - On Wednesday, September 23, I'll host a panel with LatinX community leaders to discuss the history and culture of the LatinX community in Richmond and RPS.
Anyone under the age of 18 regardless of enrollment status or location will be able to receive two meals everyday. Students DO NOT need to provide their lunch codes when they come to pick up meals. To help our families locate the meal distribution site that is most convenient for them, RPS has created a google map that has each stop on our mobile meal delivery route! Simply click on the map to find the location that is closest to you and the times of distribution. The map is available at #ReopenWithLove.
Submitted applications for preschool are currently under review. You'll hear back from us soon!
New Eligibility for EducatorsChildren of Educators Eligibility (for this year only!)
If you need assistance with preschool enrollment, send an email to email@example.com. For more information, see "Enrollment".
- Preschool-aged children whose parents/guardians are Richmond City residents and public school educators (i.e. live in Richmond but teach in another public school in a different county), are now considered eligible to enroll in RPS Preschool!
- Preschool-aged children whose parents/guardians are RPS staff (but not necessarily Richmond City residents are now considered eligible to enroll in RPS Preschool! (Note: Children will be enrolled in a preK classroom or preschool center based on available space).
"RPS Direct" Emails from Superintendent Kamras
Dear #RPSStrong Family, To all who celebrate Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, RPS wishes you a "Shanah Tovah Umetukah," a Good and Sweet Year! In my family, brisket is the go-to food for this holiday. Mine's been cooking all day; can't wait to hear the boys' verdict :). Thank you again for all the feedback about our virtual instruction. As I shared yesterday, we're drafting some adjusted schedules based on your input. We'll have details at Monday's School Board meeting. In the meantime, feel free to keep emailing any thoughts you have! As you have likely seen from my special RPS Direct messages, we've had a number of positive COVID-19 cases recently. These cases are a reminder that the coronavirus is still very active in our community, and we all need to take every precaution. A few reminders for RPS employees:
Dear #RPS Strong Family, I'm reaching out with this special RPS Direct to share that two RPS employees have tested positive for COVID-19. One of the employees is a staff member at Henry L. Marsh, III Elementary School. This individual was at Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School on 9-11. The other employee is a member of the Transportation Team and was at the Belt Boulevard Transportation Office on 9-17. Both employees are in isolation, per CDC and local guidelines. At the direction of the Richmond City Health Department (RCHD), we encourage anyone who was present at Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School or the Belt Boulevard Transportation Office on the dates listed above to monitor their symptoms and reach out to their primary care provider if they have any concerns. Individuals can also contact RCHD’s COVID-19 hotline at (804) 205-3501.