Moving RPS Students to Greatness
With a dedication to service and a commitment to safety, the Transportation Department of the Richmond City Schools is in full operation 12 months of each year. All drivers have been professionally trained and have earned a Commercial Driver's License from the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. For efficiency and safety, the entire fleet is equipped with hand-held radios which provide for immediate communication with the department's dispatch personnel.
Two-thirds of the entire RPS population is transported daily on buses managed by the Department of Pupil Transportation
The mission of the Department of Pupil Transportation employees is to work cooperatively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators. The Department of Pupil Transportation is an important member of the educational team. It is the employee's responsibility to deliver the student to and from school safely, on time, and promote to the young citizens in their charge the moral characteristics necessary for the well-being of each child.
Please remember! Run times may vary significantly during the first weeks of school until all students have registered and adjustments are made due to construction, traffic, and final student loads.
For transportation information for RAS and ASPIRE students please contact 804-674-1234
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY RULES
- Cooperate with the driver.
- Talk quietly and respectfully to each other and to the driver.
- Enter and exit the bus in an orderly fashion.
- Stay in your seat and keep the aisles clear all times.
- Keep your hands to yourself.
- Do not throw anything on the bus, at the bus, or out of the bus.
- Do not put arms, hands, head, or any other part of your body outside the window.
- Do not eat on the bus.
- Keep the bus clean.
- Do not damage the bus or tamper with bus equipment.
Employment Opportunities For School Bus Operators
The Department of Pupil Transportation is currently hiring School Bus Operators! If you or anyone you know, is interested in becoming a professional School Bus Operator please complete the following steps:
- Visit the Employment Opportunities web page.
- Under Job Listings, in the search box, type "Substitute Bus Operator"
- The job description will display, use the Apply Now - Apply for this Position link.
- Complete and submit the online application and call Mr. Robert Cere at 804-674-4356.
- If you need additional assistance during the application process, please contact our Safety and Training Office: Call 674-4356.
- MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER. No felonies; no child protective services cases; no DMV history of reckless driving or DUIs within the past five years, and no more than two moving violations within the past year.
- You must have zero (o) or plus (+) points on your driving record.
The Department of Transportation operates on the authority of Federal and State laws, as well as directives from the Virginia Board of Education and the Richmond School Board.
The primary mission of the Department of Pupil Transportation is to provide transportation to and from schools within the Richmond Public Schools' system.
The department also provides auxiliary transportation for students from schools to various other sites, including vocational and exceptional education centers, sports activities, and off-campus field trips.
Two-thirds of the entire RPS population is transported daily on buses managed by the Department of Pupil Transportation.
For more information call our customer service line at 804-674-1234.
3501 Belt Boulevard
Richmond, VA 23234
(After Hours M -F 5 pm - 9 pm