The mission of Richmond Public Schools, the gateway to infinite possibilities, is to lead our students to extraordinary, honorable lives as inspirational global leaders who shape the future with intellect, integrity, and compassion through challenging, engaging learning experiences guided by highly qualified, passionate educators in partnership with families and communities.
The instructional vision of the Richmond Public Schools Programs for Gifted and Talented is based on the credence that all students play a role in societal improvement. All students’ roles can be systematically developed by providing enrichment opportunities, resources, and services to develop their strengths, interests, and gifted behaviors. Exposure to content-rich text, complex acceleration options, diverse career pathways, and new ways of thinking, will lead to the highest levels of talent development and civic engagement.
The Programs for the Gifted & Talented offers four levels of increasing challenge and is designed to emphasize the importance of pairing services with student needs with flexible entry points. Our goal is to provide opportunities for all students to experience challenges that promote continuous academic growth.
Gifted and talented students are identified in all ethnic, geographic and social-economic populations. In order to increase access and expand the opportunity for students from historically underrepresented populations to participate in advanced academic classes, the Programs for Gifted & Talented utilizes multiple criteria to identify students in need of services and provides open access to students who have the interest and motivation to excel in Specific Academic Ability (SAA) courses such as Advanced Placement.
- All students have distinct social, emotional and educational needs which require scaffolded instructional opportunities
- Early identification and educational intervention is essential to develop the full potential of gifted students
- All students need to experience instructional opportunities appropriate to their level of potential, interest, and achievement
- Gifted students benefit immeasurably from the opportunity to work with each other in an environment which challenges them to attain their personal best.
Richmond Public Schools Programs for Gifted & Talented will:
- Develop a culture of academic rigor evidenced by college ready school environments, career planning, and access to and enrollment in advanced courses across all levels and content areas;
- Provide models of blended learning to support instruction and provide 21st century skills;
- Incorporate and target programs using culturally responsive instructional strategies to promote the acquisition of increasingly complex knowledge and skills in a social climate that fosters collaboration and positive interactions among culturally and linguistically diverse students.
The purpose of Richmond Public Schools’ Programs for Gifted and Talented is to enable all students to become independent, self-directed learners who use their knowledge and understanding to build a rich and productive life as individuals and members of the greater community.
Gifted Program Links