Richmond Special Education Advisory Committee
What is Richmond Special Education Advisory Committee (RSEAC)?
The major purpose of SEACs is to provide an opportunity for parents and other school board appointees to have a voice in the way school divisions provide services to students with disabilities. SEACs are extensions of local school boards since members are appointed by them, and SEACs provide reports and recommendations to their school boards.
RSEAC 2018-2019 Meeting Dates
The Richmond Special Education Advisory Committee (RSEAC) will meet the second Tuesday of each month. The dates, time and location are as follows but are subject to change or cancelation.
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- Tuesday, December 11, 2018 (Cancelled due to inclement weather)
- Tuesday, January 8, 2019
- Tuesday, February 12, 2019 (Topic: Post Secondary Transistion)
- Tuesday, March 12, 2019 (Topic: 504 Plan & IEP's)
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019 (Topic: Autism Awareness-Hands On Activities Training)
- Tuesday, May 13, 2019 (Topic: Planning Session for 19-20 SY)
RSEAC 2018-2019 Meeting Time
The May 13th meeting will be held from 6:00 PM -7:30 PM.
RSEAC 2018-2019 Meeting Location
The May 13th meeting will be held at 4901 Fitzhugh Ave Suite 200, Richmond, VA 23230. Please be aware parking is not allowed in the parking lot adjacent to the building. Parking is available on Fitzhugh Avenue, Staples Mills Road, and next door at the Girl Scout Building.
Chairperson and Member Primary Responsibilities
Richmond SEAC members fulfill the following functions outlined in the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, effective January 25, 2010:
- Advise the local school division of needs in the education of children with disabilities
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of children with disabilities
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of children with disabilities to the division superintendent for transmission to local school board
- Assist the local school division in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services
- Review the policies and procedures for the provision of special education and related services prior to submission to the local school board; and
- Participate in the review of the local school division's annual plan.
Individuals in these positions work closely with the local school division’s director of special education.
Chairperson Responsibilities Include:
- Facilitates meetings, including developing the agenda and guiding discussion.
- Directs and monitors the flow of work by delegating responsibility to individuals and subcommittees; follows up between meetings.
- Serves as the spokesperson for the local SEAC in public.
- Promotes collaboration among all stakeholders including: SEAC members, the special education director, school division staff, and school board members.
- Assists in the identification and recruitment of new members.
- Networks with other chairpersons of local SEACs and the regional representative of the State SEAC.
- Mentors new members and subcommittees members in understanding their job responsibilities and assignments
Member Responsibilities Include:
- Review and abide by SEAC bylaws.
- Attend regularly scheduled local SEAC meetings.
- Maintain an ongoing knowledge of special education law.
- Be informed of activities of the committee and familiar with current school division special education plans.
- Read the minutes of each meeting; advise the chair of any corrections or additions.
- Participate in the work of the SEAC, including serving on subcommittees when required.
- Encourage parents and other community members to join/attend the SEAC.
- Participate in community awareness activities to increase visibility of the local SEAC.
- Focus on systems change not personal grievances or individual advocacy.
- Work collaboratively with other SEAC members and school division leadership and personnel.
RSEAC Membership Application (Applications are now being accepted.)