In the Event of an Accident Driving a Richmond Public Schools Vehicle
AN ACCIDENT WILL BE DEFINED AS AN EVENT RESULTING IN DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE OR DAMAGE THAT YOUR VEHICLE DOES TO ANOTHER OBJECT.
If you become involved in an accident, you should do the following:
- Stop at once - DO NOT MOVE YOUR VEHICLE.
- Take steps to prevent further accidents. Provide assistance to injured individuals within your abilities to do so.
- Notify the Central Radio rooms of the Department of Plant Services (780.6112), the Department of Pupil Transportation (674.1234) or your immediate supervisor for assistance in contacting the police, fire department, paramedics, wrecker services, or other services as needed. Bus drivers will radio unit 800.
- If witnesses approach you, get their names, addresses, and phone numbers and give them to your supervisor.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone except the police department as required and appropriate school board personnel.
- Review and follow the vehicle accident reporting procedures.
Vehicle Accident Reporting Procedures
In the event that an accident occurs involving a School Board vehicle, the department to which the vehicle is assigned is responsible for ensuring that the following procedures are adhered to:
- An employee involved in an accident while operating a School Board vehicle, other than a school bus, shall contact the Central Radio room for the Department of Plant Services (780.6112) or the Department of Pupil Transportation (674.1234)
- The supervisor is required to complete the Vehicle Accident Report and submit it to the Risk Management Department at 301 North 9th Street, 13th Floor Richmond, Virginia 23222. The fax number is 780.8279.
- The Radio Room dispatcher or supervisor shall contact the Richmond Police.
Department to request the assistance of a traffic unit and/or ambulance if needed. The City’s Division of Vehicle Maintenance should be contacted if wrecker assistance is needed (646.1754)