Richmond Public School believes that every student should have the opportunity to select a foreign language. The goal of our foreign language department is to develop proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing in order to prepare our students for the global community.
Foreign language classes help students to increase their knowledge and application of the diverse culture of countries whose language they are learning. In addition, knowing a foreign language may well make the difference in gaining employment.
Information for Parents
Why offer Spanish; French; Russian; Latin; Japanese; Chinese?
- Spanish is spoken by nearly 500 million people around the world, and 29 million of them are native speakers living in the United States.
- French is spoken by 129 million people on six continents, and is one of the official languages of the United Nations.
- Russian is spoken by 279 million people across Europe and Asia. It is the lingua franca of many former Soviet republics.
- The influence of Latin and of Roman culture can be found in dozens of countries across Europe, the Americas, Africa, and the Middle East.
- Japanese is the language of one of Asia's most important countries. Japan holds a great deal of cultural, political, and economic influence in Asia and throughout the rest of the world.
- Mandarin Chinese is the most-spoken language in the world, with over 1 billion speakers.
- Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish are four of the six official languages of the United Nations. The other two are English and Arabic.