Welcome Center Overview
The Welcome Center is designed to support the district’s non-English speaking families with a school counselor, bilingual parent liaison, and interpreters. A wide arrange of services are offered including registering students from non-English language backgrounds, providing school information, providing other resources to help support student achievement, and offering workshops and classes.
- Support RPS families with student registration, with a particular emphasis on the development of inclusive processes that supports non-English speaking families.
- Coordinate with relevant City agencies, non-profits, and other service providers in order to ensure effective collaboration of services in support of RPS students and families.
- Develop and oversee efficient processes for connecting RPS families to those relevant community resources identified amongst community agencies.
- Facilitate translation and language support for district, school and community needs.
- Provide workshops and training for parents and caregivers on special education processes, advocacy, conversational English classes, car seat safety, bullying, and community health education and resources.
Location and Hours of Operation
The RPS Welcome Center is located in the Southside Community Services Center, 4100 Hull St. Rd, Richmond, VA 23224. Hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm.
Amelia Casteñeda, Coordinator
Southside Community Services Center
4100 Hull Street Rd
Richmond, VA 23224