Partial Spanish Immersion Program
Partial Immersion is a means of acquiring a foreign language through content matter instruction. Students spend half of their day studying the regular grade-level curriculum in classes conducted in the foreign language. The other half of the day is conducted in English. The target subjects taught in Spanish are Mathematics and Science. Language Arts/Reading and Social Studies are taught in English. The uniqueness of the program is that the foreign language is not taught as a stand-alone subject. Instead, the foreign language becomes the language of instruction for part of the curriculum.
Currently, if your child participates in the Partial Spanish Immersion Program, he/she will receive Math and Science instruction in Spanish during 1st and 2nd grade. When your child reaches the upper grades (3rd, 4th, and 5th grades), the students who participated in the immersion program will be separated into the regular grade level classrooms but will receive 90 minutes of content-based instruction in Spanish.
In order for your child to participate in the program, a lottery will be held on Tuesday, May 30, 2017, at 2:30 pm. The first 22 students to accept placement will have the opportunity to participate in the Partial Spanish Immersion Program. Priority will be given to students who come from a Spanish speaking home, or who have a sibling currently in the program. The remaining spots will be filled by the lottery.
THE LOTTERY PROCESS
- Names will be placed into a vessel for a random drawing.
- Names will be drawn and the order will be recorded until all names have been selected and assigned a number.
- Names with numbers 1-24 will be selected to fill the classroom to capacity and students will be offered placement.
- Parents will be notified in writing, via US mail, their child's number and the status of their position in the Partial Spanish Immersion Program (accepted or waitlisted).
- Parents will have five business days to decline acceptance of placement.
- Numbers that are not selected to fill classroom to capacity will be placed on a waiting list and will be selected in order.
- Parents of wait listed students, if selected, will be notified and provided an opportunity to immediately confirm acceptance of placement.
In order to provide you with an overview of the program and to answer questions that you may have, we are cordially inviting you to an informational meeting on Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 at 4:15 pm in the Media Center.