History Overview

  • When Southampton’s first principal, Mrs. Dorthy Burton opened the school's doors on September 30, 1959.  Six hundred thirty-nine students along with their teachers, parents and neighbors began a tradition of excellence that continues today. The original building constructed by Chesterfield County, consisted of fifteen classrooms, cafeteria, and a library for students in grades Southampton Elementary School first through sixth. By the late sixties, the building was expanded to twenty-nine classrooms accommodating 815 students.  An enlarged library, multipurpose room, and computer lab.  During the 2019-2010 school year, a computer lab was outfitted with new computers, printers, and SMART Boards.  

     

    Southampton's Principals

    • Mrs. Dorothy Burton 1959 – 1965 
    • Mr. Claybrook 1965 – 1967 
    • Mrs. Charles Stanton 1967 – 1971 
    • Mrs. Helen Kelly 1971 – 1974 
    • Dr. Sylvia Robinson 1974 – 1989 
    • Mrs. Ann Jenkins 1989 – 1995 
    • Mrs. Joyce Lanier 1995 – 1999 
    • Dr. Joyce Keene 1999 – 2001 
    • Mrs. Linda Bennett 2001 – 2013 
    • Mrs. Sheleta Crews 2013 - Present