Top 10 Reminders for Day 1
1) First Day – We're back on Wednesday, September 8, for preschool-12th grade in-person instruction and preschool-5th grade virtual instruction (6th-12th grade virtual instruction began last week). RPS is closed on Monday, September 6, in observance of Memorial Day, and on Tuesday, September 7, in observance of Rosh Hashanah. View our division calendar for a full list of holidays this year.
3) Symptom Checking – Please use the symptom checker before you head out the door. If you have any symptoms, stay home and get tested. Do this for yourself and for the RPS family.
4) Bus Routes – Our bus routes are available here. Families of exceptional education students will receive phone calls on Monday with bus stop information.
5) School Access Rules – To further prevent the spread of COVID-19, parents and caregivers will NOT be allowed to enter schools without an appointment. I know many families like to walk their young children to class on the first day but we can't allow this, as it would introduce too many people into our buildings and impair our ability to contact trace in the event of an infection. I've asked principals to hold firm on this so please extend them grace and understanding. Thank you.
6) Meals – To prevent students from crowding together for long periods in traditional lunch lines, we will be using "grab and go" meals that students will pick up from kiosks in various locations. We will likely continue this practice until we feel it's safe to return to a more traditional set up. That means there won't be hot meals for the time being. Thank you for your understanding.
7) Chromebook Password Reset – You may remember this one from last year. For security reasons, we'll be doing a password reset for all student Chromebooks on Tuesday, September 7, at 9 am. Click here for all the details (haga clic aquí para español).
8) Health and Safety Protocols Video – If you haven't already, please tale a few minutes to watch the video about our COVID-19 health and safety protocols for in-person learning. Many thanks to Chip Jackson, Director of Workforce Innovation at Oakwood Arts, for directing this project!
9) Vaccination – Vaccination remains the most effective way to prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you haven't already taken this step, please consider doing so for the children in your life, particularly for those who are too young to be vaccinated themselves. To help, we're holding COVID-19 vaccination clinics in partnership with the Richmond City Health District on Wednesday, September 8, and Wednesday, September 29, from 3 pm - 6 pm, at Clark Springs (1101 Dance Street). You can find additional walk-up COVID-19 vaccination events here. As a reminder, all RPS employees must upload proof of full vaccination by October 1. Please visit www.rvaschools.net/vaccine for more information.
10) Grace – Hundreds of unsung heroes have been working around the clock for months to prepare for reopening. Custodians have been cleaning, disinfecting, and painting. Facilities personnel have been upgrading HVAC systems, installing hospital-grade air scrubbers, and repairing bathrooms. Family liaisons have been pounding the pavement to share information in every neighborhood across the city. Academic personnel have been planning for our "moonshot" literacy program. Recruiters have been head-hunting all across the Commonwealth and beyond. Administrators have been translating COVID guidance into concrete action plans. And, of course, teachers have been preparing to welcome back our students with love. We're prepared for Wednesday because of these incredible people. Please shower them with love and extend them grace as we all begin yet another unprecedented year.
Translate Our Website!
Traducir nuestro sitio web | Traduire notre site Web | ترجمة موقعنا | Tafsiri Tovuti yetu
Please see below for instructions in multiple languages for how to access the translation functionality of our website.
English: To receive updated information in your native language and to learn where you may receive assistance during this time away from school, visit rvaschools.net and select the "translate" option at the top of the page.
Amharic/ አማርኛ: በአፍ መፍቻ ቋንቋዎ የተዘመኑ መረጃዎችን ለመቀበል እና በዚህ ትምህርት ቤት በሚዘጋበት ወቅት እንደ ምግብ ያለ ድጋፍ የት እንደሚያገኙ ለማወቅ ፣ የ rvaschools.net ን ይጎብኙ እና በገጹ አናት ላይ ያለውን “ትርጉም” አማራጭ ይምረጡ ፡፡
Arabic: لمعرفة المكان الذي قد تتلقى فيه المساعدة مثل الطعام أثناء إغلاق المدرسة ، حدد خيار "الترجمة" في أعلى الصفحة.
French/Français: Pour recevoir des informations mises à jour dans votre langue maternelle et savoir où vous pouvez recevoir de l'aide comme de la nourriture pendant cette fermeture d'école, visitez rvaschools.net et sélectionnez l'option "traduire" en haut de la page.
Spanish/Español: Para recibir información actualizada en su idioma nativo y saber dónde puede recibir asistencia como alimentos durante el cierre de esta escuela, visite www.rvaschools.net y seleccione la opción "traducir" en la parte superior de la página.
Swahili/Kiswahili: Kupokea habari iliyosasishwa katika lugha yako ya asili na kujifunza wapi unaweza kupata msaada kama chakula wakati wa kufunga shule hii, tembelea rvaschools.net na uchague chaguo la "kutafsiri" juu ya ukurasa.
Additional Language Resource: If you use the website browser, Chrome, you can also add a Google Translate extension that will translate any page on the internet.