Assessment & Grading
Why is it important to assess students at the start of our virtual semester?
To best meet the individual needs of students, teachers must know the specific learning needs of their students. Following our spring closure, it is even more important for our educators to fully understand where our students are starting so that we tailor instruction and supports accordingly.
How will RPS be assessing students’ academic skills?
To the extent possible, we will conduct grade and subject-specific assessments virtually. We are in the process of working out all the details with our assessment providers. In a few cases, some in-person testing may be necessary. We will provide additional details on this shortly.
Which assessments will be given at the beginning of the year?
- For Kindergarten: VKRP (Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program)
- For Grades K-3: PALS (Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening)
- For Grades 2-9, ELA and Math: NWEA MAP (Northwest Evaluation Association Measures of Academic Progress)
- For Grades 10-12 and for Subjects Other Than ELA and Math: Teacher-created assessments
- For all English Learners: WIDA Screener (World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment)
Will there still be SOLs this year?
SOLs are governed by the Virginia Department of Education. As of now – though this may change – the VDOE has scheduled SOLs for the spring of 2021.
Will students receive grades for work completed during the virtual semester?
Yes. All assignments will be required and graded. Students will receive report cards and transcripts, as normal.