#ReopenWithLove Family Letter and Checklist
August 10, 2020
Dear RPS Family,
We are thrilled to virtually welcome back our students on September 8 for the start of the 2020-21 school year! While this fall may look and feel a little different, one thing will be the same: our commitment to teaching, leading, and serving with love.
Earlier this week, we shared #ReopenWithLove, our reopening plan for the fall. I encourage you to read it (available at www.rvaschools.net/reopenwithlove) and follow up with any questions you may have. You can always contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Here are just a few of the most important elements:
- Fall meal distribution will begin on August 31 through our bus system, with over 1,095 stops daily. Most students will be able to pick up their meals between 7 am and 9 am.
- For K-12 students, the school day will start at 9:15 am, right after our meal distribution. For Pre-K students, it will start at 9 am or 9:15 am based on the location.
- Students will experience a full instructional day, including a mix of live instruction, independent work, and small group or one-on-one check-ins.
- Each student will receive a Chromebook and a #ReopenWithLove Learning Kit that will include instructional supplies as well as subject-specific materials such as novels and workbooks.
- All assignments will be required and graded, and students will receive report cards and transcripts.
- Specialized support for English Learners and students with disabilities will be provided throughout the virtual semester.
I will continue to provide daily updates in my RPS Direct newsletter. If you are not yet receiving it, please visit www.rvaschools.net/rps-direct to subscribe. We will also be discussing reopening during our RPS Live! conversations every Wednesday at 7 pm on the RPS Facebook page, and during our RPS en Vivo conversations for Spanish-speaking families every Thursday at 5:30 pm on the RPSenEspañol Facebook page.
Below this letter, you will find our #ReopenWithLove Family Checklist. Please review it and complete each item that applies to your family prior to September 8.
As we approach the start of the 2020-21 school year, I want to acknowledge the anxiety that many, if not all, of you are experiencing right now. To be sure, this fall will not be easy – for either students, families, or staff. To make it through – and actually thrive – we will all need empathy and grace. I pray that we all have the strength to extend it to each other, and the fortune to receive it. That is how we will #ReopenWithLove.
With great appreciation,
Virtual Family Academy
Check out our Virtual Family Academy! The videos below help guide you through the topics in our Family Checklist with navigation through the RPS website and other resources. If you have any questions, please call our Family Support Line from 8am - 4pm, Monday through Friday (holidays excluded) at (804) 780-6195.