New Student Enrollment FAQ
Below are frequently asked questions pertaining to enrollment. If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My child already attends an RPS School. Do I need to enroll again?
No. Current RPS students do not have to enroll again, except for preschool students who must enroll in kindergarten.
What school zone do I live in?
Each residence in the city of Richmond has a zoned school at the elementary (K-5), middle (6-8), and high school (9-12) levels. The zoned school is based upon the physical address where that student lives. Locate your child's school by address.
What documents do I need to provide when enrolling my child?
You will need your child’s original birth certificate, immunization record, and proof of a physical (within the last 12 months). Parents must provide two proofs of city residency per Richmond School Board Policy 8-2.2 (more information is below). For preschool enrollment, proof of income is also required.
These documents are not required to complete the online enrollment form, but will be required before you complete the process. If you do not have access to these documents when completing online enrollment, you will need to upload them at a later date or bring the documents to the school in person by making an appointment. For next steps with enrollment, please reach out to your students' new school.
What counts as a proof of residency document?
Per School Board Policy 8-2.2, acceptable forms of proof of residence shall include, but not be limited to, two or more of the following, which reflect the physical address of the resident:
- A U.S. or Virginia income tax return from the previous year
- A U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form from the current year or its equivalent
- A deed or lease agreement to the residence, a mortgage bill for the residence
- A voter registration card, a receipt for personal property taxes paid within the last year and/or a payroll check or payroll check stub issued by an employer within the last three months.
- A utility bill will be accepted, and will be counted as one of the two proofs of residence, only if the utility bill is presented in conjunction with a lease or mortgage bill that shows the same address as the utility bill and is in the same name as the person enrolling the student (pre-marriage names will be accepted if a picture I.D. is presented).
Additionally, a driver’s license or Virginia state issued identification card will be accepted, and will be counted as one of the two proofs of residence, only if the driver’s license or Virginia state issued I.D. is presented in conjunction with a lease or mortgage bill that shows the same address as the driver’s license or Virginia state issued I.D and is in the same name as the person enrolling the student (pre-marriage names will be accepted since a picture I.D. is being presented.)
How old does my child have to be to enter Kindergarten?
Students entering Kindergarten in fall 2020 must be 5 years of age by September 30, 2020.
How can I choose a school other than my zone school for my child to attend?
Each year students may participate in a process entitled “Open Enrollment”. The application period for this process will begin in the fall. Parents may select up to three “out-of-zone” schools to attend. These students are then placed in a lottery for the following school year. A student’s acceptance is based upon the student’s random lottery position and school enrollment capacity for “out-of-zone” applicants at each grade level.