- Department Overview
- New Student Enrollment
- School Application FAQs
- Open Enrollment
- Charter Schools (Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts)
- Specialty Schools
- Governor's Schools
- School Application Resources
This page contains information to help you prepare for enrolling your child in RPS using the online form at Enroll RPS (www.attendrvaschools.com). Click the header below or the "Expand All" button to the right to learn more about documentation requirements and information contained on the enrollment form.
A step-by-step PDF of the enrollment form is available at the bottom of this page.
This checklist serves as a resource as you prepare to complete the enrollment process with Richmond Public Schools. This list does not list all information requested on the enrollment form, but highlights required or optional documents and information that may require consulting your child’s records. The items below are asked on the enrollment form.
When you are ready to complete the enrollment form on Enroll RPS (www.attendrvaschools.com) you may save and return to your work at any time should you need time to access information.
☐ Child’s current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504, as applicable
☐ List of any special services child is currently receiving (counseling services, gifted, occupational therapy, self-contained instruction, Title I tutoring, 504 plan, ESL or ELD)
☐ If child has health insurance, have access to their health insurance number
☐ Date of last physical
☐ Documentation of last physical
☐ If your child has a physician, have access to their physician’s name and office address
☐ If your child has a dentist, have access to their dentist’s name and office address
Emergency Contact / Pick Up Contacts
☐ Name, phone, and address of at least one non-guardian who can serve as an emergency contact for your child. You may provide information for up to three.
Proof of Residency
☐ Two proofs of residency from the list in the documentation requirements tab of this page, or in RPS School Board Policy 8-2.2.
☐ Birth certificate or certified copy.
Families must present the birth certificate or a certified copy to their child’s school team before completing enrollment. A photocopy of the child's birth certificate will not meet this requirement. If a certified copy of the child's birth certificate cannot be obtained, the person enrolling the child must submit a sworn statement setting forth the child's age and explaining the inability to present a certified copy. The birth certificate must be presented in person.
Proof of Income (PreK Only)
☐ Documentation of proof of income, for preschool students (3 and 4-year-old) only.
Acceptable proof of income includes:
- 2020 Tax Return
- 2020 W-2
- Letter from employer on company letterhead indicating parent name and income
- A recent pay stub
- Notice of Action from Department of Social Services
- TANF verification
- SSI verification
- Child Support court documents.
☐ Dated within the last 12 months for entry into school in September. Click here to access the VDOE School Health Entrance Form.
☐ Up to date based on age for entry into school in September. For more on Virginia immunization requirements, click here.
Dental (PreK Only)
☐ Dated within the last 6 months for entry into school in September.
Shared Housing/Families in Transition (If Applicable)
☐ Please use this link (English) or this link (Spanish) for documents needed if you are sharing housing and your name is not on the lease or you are a family in transition (living in hotel, with friends, temporary). Click here to view other forms from the Center for Families in Transition (C-FIT).
Health Care Plan (If Applicable)
☐ Ex. Asthma Plan, Plan for Allergic Reactions, Seizures, etc.
Medication Orders (If Applicable)
☐ Doctor's orders for medication administered at school.
Families of new RPS students must provide the following documents to complete the enrollment process, per RPS School Board Policy 8-2.2:
1. Proof of residency – Two documents proving residency must be provided. Acceptable documents include (additional exceptions are listed below):
- U.S. or Virginia income tax return from the previous year;
- U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form from the current year or its equivalent;
- Deed or lease agreement to the residence (you can request;
- Mortgage bill for the residence;
- Voter registration card;
- Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the last year;
- And/or a payroll check or payroll stub issued by an employer within the last three months
*Special Exceptions to Proof of Residency
- A utility bill will be accepted, and will be counted as one of the two proofs of residence, only if the utility bill is presented in conjunction with a lease or mortgage bill that shows the same address as the utility bill and is in the same name as the person enrolling the student (pre-marriage names will be accepted if a picture I.D. is presented).
- Driver’s license or Virginia state issued identification card will be accepted, and will be counted as one of the two proofs of residence, only if the driver’s license or Virginia state issued I.D. is presented in conjunction with a lease or mortgage bill that shows the same address as the driver’s license or Virginia state issued I.D and is in the same name as the person enrolling the student (pre-marriage names will be accepted since a picture I.D. is being presented.)
- Even if a parent or guardian opts to receive mail from the school at P.O. Box, upon enrollment and/or at the request of the child’s school, the parent or guardian will be required to provide two or more of the documents as stated above in order for the student to be declared a resident and/or enroll in RPS.
- If there is a shared housing situation per RPS procedures, the mortgage holder or leaseholder must provide two or more of the documents as stated above in order for the student to be declared a resident and/or enroll in RPS.
- When the parents of a child are unable to care for the child and the child is living, not solely for school purposes, with a relative who resides in the school division and the adult relative providing temporary kinship care as that term is defined by Virginia law, the child may enroll as a RPS student so long as (1) the adult fully completes the documentation as required by the administrative procedures promulgated by RPS’ administration; and (2) the adult with whom the child is residing shows proof of residency as required by this policy.
- When an emancipated minor is living in the school division, not solely for school purposes, the emancipated minor may enroll as student with RPS so long as (1) they provide documentation demonstrating their emancipation; and (2) the emancipated minor shows proof of residency as required by this policy.
2. Birth certificate – A photocopy of the child's birth certificate will not meet this requirement. If a certified copy of the child's birth certificate cannot be obtained, the person enrolling the child must submit a sworn statement setting forth the child's age and explaining the inability to present a certified copy. The birth certificate must be presented in person.
3. Immunization Record – Any student whose immunizations are incomplete may be admitted conditionally if the student provides documentation at the time of enrollment of having received at least one dose of the required immunizations accompanied by a schedule for completion of the required doses within 90 days.
4. Comprehensive Physical Examination – Necessary for any new students and for admission to any elementary school. The physical must:
- Be performed within the 12 months prior to the date of entrance OR
- Include records of a physical examination from another school division within the Commonwealth of Virginia
5. Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) – Only necessary if student is currently receiving exceptional education services
6. Current 504 Plan (if applicable)
7. Most Recent Report Card – Required only for students admitted to Governor’s School, though your child's school may request this to aid in scheduling.
Documents can be uploaded to a child's enrollment form in Enroll RPS, or brought in-person to their enrolling school if technical support uploading them is needed. If you would like to make an in-person visit for enrollment support, given the current COVID-19 pandemic, please reach out to your school to make an appointment (or they will reach out upon completion of your enrollment form). School contact information is avaialble on individual school websites and the school directory.
Click the icon in the upper right corner to open the enrollment form user-guide in a separate window. A Spanish version is coming soon.