School Applications: Open Enrollment, Specialty Schools, and Regional Governor's Schools
RPS conducts an annual cycle of school applications for a variety of school and program types. This page connects RPS families and prospective RPS families to critical information about RPS school offerings, the content of applications, and how to submit applications online in Enroll RPS. Additional information about each unique school type application, including frequently asked questions, can be accesed by clicking the blue underlined links in the list below.
- Open Enrollment – Any RPS school that does not have an application process for admission can be accessed by out-of-zone students through a random open enrollment lottery. Seats vary year to year based on enrollment projections compared against staffing and building capacity.
- Specialty Schools – Specialty Schools are RPS secondary schools that require an application process for admission. For the SY2021-2022 application cycle, these schools include Franklin Military Academy (grades 6-8 and 9-12; each grade band requires a separate application), Open High School (grades 9-12), Richmond Community High School (grades 9-12), and Thomas Jefferson High School International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (grades 11-12).
- Lucille Brown Middle School and Thomas Jefferson High School IB Middle Years Programmes are now open enrollment lottery schools (starting with applications for school year 2021-2022).
- Charter Schools – Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts (PHSSA), Virginia’s first charter elementary school, is a Richmond Public School serving approximately 350 Richmond students. Eligible students (rising kindergarten through grade 5) may apply to attend PHSSA through a random open enrollment lottery.
- Regional Governor’s Schools – While each regional governor’s school application processes are managed by an overarching body, RPS supports the application process for Richmond City residents applying to Maggie Walker and Appomattox. CodeRVA applications are handled separately by CodeRVA.
- Specialty Programs – Students may also apply to programs available to certain groups of RPS students. The Governor's STEM Academy at Richmond Technical Center is one such program. Rising 9th grade students may apply for this part-time program; students must attend an RPS high school to enroll in the Governor's STEM Academy.
All applications for school types listed above must be submitted via Enroll RPS, our online portal for school applications and new student enrollment.
- (NEW!) Early College Academy – The Early College Academy is an opportunity for Richmond Public School students to earn an associate's degree while in high school. Current 10th grade students from all RPS high schools with a minimum GPA of 3.0 are eligible to apply. Click the link to learn more about the application process! Applications are due February 22, 2021.
- Thursday, October 22 (8:00 AM) - School applications may be submitted on Enroll RPS.
- October 26, 2020 (5:30 - 7:00PM) - Virtual Information Session
- October 28, 2020 (4:30 - 6:00PM) - Virtual Information Session
- November 5, 2020 (5:30 - 7:00PM) - Virtual Information Session (Click the link to register to attend)
- November 19, 2020 (5:30 - 7:00PM) - Virtual Information Session (Click the link to register to attend)
- Tuesday, December 1 (4:30 PM) - Deadline for submitting school applications in Enroll RPS for open enrollment, specialty schools, governor's schools, Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts, and the Governor's STEM Academy at RTC.