Richmond Public Schools offers enrollment admission to students to attend high school in a smaller school setting. These 'specialty schools' offer rigorous college preparation, career preparation, leadership opportunities, community service, and other inspiring experiences. Students are required to complete an application and fulfill the requirements set by each school.
Specialty School Application Process
The application window for RPS specialty schools opens Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 8:00AM and closes on Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 4:30PM.
We are excited to introduce a 'common application' this year for the specialty school application process. The Common Application for Specialty Schools streamlines the application process for specialty schools, allowing students to submit the following common documents which will be applied to each school to which they apply:
- 2 teacher recommendations
- 1 essay
- 1 short essay response
Each school may require additional information as part of their application that is unique to their school. Please make sure you complete all of the requirements before submitting your application. While recommendation requests are due as a part of the overall application no later than December 1, teachers have until December 15, 2020 to submit their recommendations online.
Click the links below to learn more about each RPS specialty school, their unique offerings, and eligibility requirements.
- Franklin Military Academy
- Open High School
- Richmond Community High School
- Thomas Jefferson High School International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
Virtual Information and Technical Support Sessions
Richmond Public Schools will host four virtual information and technical support sessions. Each session will review the overall application process for all school types, include a demonstration of the Enroll RPS portal and presentations from each RPS specialty school.
Content will be the same for each session, and a recording will be available for on-demand viewing after the first session. No RSVP is required, and we look forward to meeting with you. Click the link below to register. All sessions will cover the same content.
- October 26, 2020 (5:30 - 7:00PM)
- October 28, 2020 (4:30 - 6:00PM)
- November 5, 2020 (5:30 - 7:00PM)
- November 19, 2020 (5:30 - 7:00PM)
Specialty School Virtual Open Houses
Specialty schools will also host their own virtual open houses. Links for these events are coming soon!
- Open High School - 11/9 (6:00 - 7:30 PM)
- Thomas Jefferson IB Diploma Programme - 11/11 (6:00-7:30 PM)
- Richmond Community High School - 11/12 (6:00-7:30 PM)
- Franklin Military Academy - 11/16 (6:00-7:30 PM)
- Governor's STEM Academy at Richmond Techncal Center - 11/17 (6:00-7:30 PM)