• Kindergarten Enrollment

    Kindergarten enrollment for school year 2021-2022 opened on Thursday, April 1st. Students who will be 5-years-old on or before September 30, 2021 are eligible to enroll in kindergarten. Per the Code of Virginia, parents/guardians of any child who will not have reached his sixth birthday on or before September 30 of each school year may delay the child's attendance for one year. Click here to read more on kindergarten enrollment policies.

    Families with a kindergarten student (including those who attended an RPS preschool) must follow this simple process to enroll:

    1. Determine your eligibility for kindergarten.

    Children must meet two criteria to be eligible for kindergarten enrollment in RPS:

    • Residency - A child must be residing with a parent or legal guardian in Richmond City to attend Richmond Public Schools. If you aren’t sure if your residence is within the RPS boundary, use our School Locator to find out. To read the full text of RPS’s residency policy, click here.
    • Age - A child may enter kindergarten if they will turn five on or before September 30 of the year they enter school (for school year 2021-2022, September 30, 2021). This age requirement also applies to students who transfer from other school districts after the start of the school year. 
      • Families interested in applying for their child to attend kindergarten early (that is, if their child will not turn five on or before September 30) can click here for information about that process.

     2. Prepare your enrollment documents.

    Families enrolling children for kindergarten must provide several documents during enrollment, including proof of residency in Richmond City (two proofs are required), the child’s original birth certificate or a certified copy (a scanned copy or photograph can be uploaded but the physical document must be presented before the student is enrolled), a child's health information including a physical, and a child's immunization records. Click here for complete information on required documentation.

    Families will be required to upload documents in the online enrollment form, or provide them in person at their zone school during a scheduled appointment, before their child can be enrolled. The child's birth certificate must be provided in person.

    3. Complete the online enrollment form in Enroll RPS. 

    RPS kindergarten enrollment must be completed in Enroll RPS ( Families enrolling a student in RPS for the first time will need to create an account when they first visit. Returning families enrolling a child in kindergarten should use the same login information used for enrollment or school applications of other children. For a quick video on how to create an account, click here.

    Enroll RPS separates the steps of the enrollment form into short sections, and allows families to save their progress and return to their work at a later date. Click here for resources on how to use Enroll RPS, including how-to videos. Despite this helpful functionality, we encourage families to enroll as soon as possible!

    4. Schedule an appointment at your school to complete the process.

    Per the Code of Virginia, a family must present their child's birth certificate (or a certified copy) to enroll in a school division for the first time. Upon completion of the enrollment form, families will receive an email/call from their school to schedule an in-person appointment for this final step.

    Need additional support?

    Our school staff members are excited to support you with the enrollment process, and we look forward to welcoming you and your child next school year! 

    If you need additional assistance with the online form, you can make an appointment at your zone school by calling them (School Directory) or submitting an appointment request. If you do make an appointment, please try to visit with all required enrollment documents to minimize the number of visits required.


  • Have general questions about enrollment?

    Contact us at

    Have a school specific question, or need help completing your enrollment form?

    Contact your school using the School Directory.