2018 - 2019 Open Enrollment & Specialty School Application Calendar
All Open Enrollment and Specialty School Applications open on October 15, 2018
The Registration Gateway HELP Call Desk, 804-780-1850 will be open until 5:00 PM Monday-Friday. The Registration Gateway HELP Email Desk will also be available for immediate assistance until 8:30 PM from October 15th-October 19th, email@example.com.
Specialty School Alert: The Richmond Public Schools 2018-2019 Specialty School Calendar is now online for the upcoming 2019-2020 School Year. Applications for Maggie L. Walker Governor's School and Appomattox Regional Governor's School will open on October 15, 2018. All RPS Middle Schools have been scheduled for recruitment by the Governor's Schools. Every RPS Middle School will have a technical support and information night. Thank you for your patience as we open our "Application Season."
Attend a Registration Gateway Open Enrollment and Specialty School Information Evening from 6:00 PM- 8:00 PM
- October 22,2018: Lucille Brown Middle School
- October 23, 2018: Albert Hill Middle School
- October 24, 2018: Elkhardt-Thompson Middle School
- October 25, 2018: Martin Luther King Middle School
- October 29, 2018: Binford Middle School
- October 30, 2018: Henderson Middle School
- November 1, 2018: Boushall Middle School
- November 2, 2018: Franklin Military Academy
All sessions are open to city residents. Specialty School Representatives will be available at these events.
The mission of Richmond Public Schools, the gateway to infinite possibilities, is to lead our students to extraordinary, honorable lives as inspirational global leaders who shape the future with intellect, integrity, and compassion through challenging, engaging learning experiences guided by highly qualified, passionate educators in partnership with families and communities.
As part of the mission of Richmond Public Schools, Programs for the Gifted provides a continuum of comprehensive services for gifted and talented students. Such services are an essential component of an urban school division’s commitment to deliver quality education to students at all levels of achievement. Gifted and talented students are identified in all ethnic, geographic and social-economic populations.
- Gifted students have distinct social, emotional and educational needs which require differentiated instructional opportunities.
- Early identification and educational intervention is essential to develop the full potential of gifted students; it is particularly critical for at-risk students.
- Students need to experience differentiated instructional opportunities appropriate to their level of achievement and potential.
- Gifted students benefit immensely from the opportunity to work with each other in an environment which challenges them to attain their personal best.
The purpose of Richmond Public Schools’ Programs for the Gifted is to enable gifted students to become independent, self-directed learners who use their knowledge and understanding to build a rich and productive life as individuals and members of the greater community.
Gifted Program Links
November 7th - Open High School 6:00 - 7:15 pm
*All Open Enrollment & Specialty School Applications close on November 30, 2018*
Appomattox Regional Governor's School
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School
Lucille Brown MS School IB
Thomas Jefferson HS IB
Open High School
Richmond Community HS
Franklin Military Academy
Assessments & Interviews
February 8 - Transcripts (including second semester seventh grade & first semester eighth grade) due from schools to the Gifted Coordinator & Public School Counselors
February 13 - All student documents must be uploaded by the current School Counselors by 4:00 pm.
February 20, 22 & 25 - Open High School Interviews
Acceptance & Status Notification
*All Acceptance & Status Notices are sent out on March 8, 2019*
March 22 - All Specialty School & Open Enrollment Acceptance Responses are due
March 22 - Deadline for appeal - Written appeal to be received no later than March 22 to the Gifted Coordinator, Specialty School Principal, or IB Coordinator by 4:00 pm
(Time of Day will be included in Acceptance Letter)
March 19 & 20 - Open High School Shadow Days for Accepted Students
March 26 & 27 - Open High School Shadow Days for Waitlisted Students