Welcome to Thomas Jefferson High School's International Baccalaureate Programme!
Thomas Jefferson High School is an IB world school authorized to offer the Middle Years Programme (MYP) for 9th and 10th grade students, and the Diploma Programme (DP) for 11th and 12th grade students.
IB students take required courses from eight different subject groups and develop a strong foundation of skills through our curriculum. See our IB Application Cohort Requirements for more information.
To learn more about the International Baccalaureate Organization's philosophy and curriculum models, link to the IB Worldwide site at www.ibo.org.
We are a fully Authorized IB World School! We abide by the regulations set by the International Baccalaureate Organization. See below for our initial authorization dates and the IB regulations.
June 2005 (Middle Years Programme)
May 2006 (Diploma Programme)
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
RPS: The Gateway to Infinite Possibilities
The mission of Richmond Public Schools, the gateway of infinite possibilities, is to lead our students to extraordinary, honorable lives as inspirational global leaders who shape the future with intellect, integrity, and compassion through challenging, engaging learning experiences guided by highly qualified, passionate educators in partnership with families and communities.
The IB Programme at TJHS supports this mission by:
- Teaching a broad base of disciplines to ensure that students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare for the future.
- Developing a genuine understanding of principles and an ability to apply these in new contexts, in preparation for future learning
- Promoting the principle of concurrent learning, whereby students deal with a balanced curriculum.
- Exploring the disciplines with increasing depth and realizing how they are linked to each other and global issues.
- Encouraging a variety of teaching and learning methodologies to produce a climate where students discover how they learn best in different contexts.
- Emphasizing the development of the whole child; affective, cognitive, creative, and physical.
- Engaging the school with the whole educational experience, including what students learn outside the classroom.
- Encouraging a balance between formative and summative assessment, using a range of activities within units to allow students to use and demonstrate a full range of thinking skills.
- Assessing what students have learned through teacher-led assessment, group, and/or peer evaluation, and students’ self assessment.
The Mission of Thomas Jefferson High School, a committed community of families, students, staff, neighbors, and businesses, is to promote wholistic student growth which recognizes the value of every student and enables all to reach their infinite possibilities through challenging, engaging learning experiences mentored by highly qualified, passionate people.