Guidance & Counseling Overview
Exceeding Expectations with Excellence
Click here to make an appointment with your school counselor.
The mission of the John Marshall High School Counseling Department is to empower all students to reach their fullest potential by providing a comprehensive program to address students' academic and career goals in addition to supporting their personal and social needs. This is accomplished through a partnership with parents/guardians, staff, and community members to enable all students to become successful, productive members of society.
John Marshall High School Counseling Program seeks to inspire all of its students to become independent learners and thinkers who will live lives as responsible and productive members of society.
School Counselors are certified educators trained in school counseling and educational issues. Through appropriate and effective academic, career, and personal-social programs, all students can be successful.
Program Goals and Objectives
The goal of the school guidance and counseling program is to facilitate student development in the areas of Academic Development, Career Development, and Personal/Social Development. Specific goals include:
- Provide a program based on intellectual, social, emotional and physical development
- Create an environment conductive to learning and mutual respect among all members of the school community
- Enhance student achievement to reach requirements for high school graduation and post-secondary success
- Demonstrate a commitment to the belief that all children can learn
- Provide our students with opportunities to explore their own potentialities
- Assist our students to grow academically, develop socially, make appropriate choices, and accept responsibility for the their decisions
- Provide activities necessary for development of marketable skills and a rich cultural citizenship for every student
- Assist our student in planning for educational and vocational choices
- Collaborate and partner with educational stakeholders to increase the academic, personal/social and career development in all students