For more information and applications for High School Summer Residential Governor’s School programs, please visit the VDOE website. Applications are due to your school counselor no later than February 21,2020.
2020 High School Summer Residential Governor’s Schools
2020 High School Summer Residential Governor’s School
All Comprehensive and Specialty School high school students who meet the criteria are eligible. MLWGS and ARGS have their own slot allotments. Students are urged to contact their counselors for further information.
The Summer Residential Governor's Schools' applications are now open and online. Please distribute to your High School Department Chairs, Visual and Performing Arts Teachers and High School Counselors to complete the process of identifying candidates for the Summer Residential Governor's School (SRGS). The website includes the applications, weblinks, and forms that need to be forwarded to the Programs for Gifted & Talented office along with the student applications. Included are the SRGS guidelines and timelines for administrators and parents/students. This is an extremely competitive process and the slots are limited. However, I know we have talented students in our city that will rise to the occasion. Costs will be covered jointly by the VDOE and the school divisions. Talented and motivated 9th and 10th-grade students from all comprehensive and specialty schools are urged to apply.
- Agriculture (AG) (4 weeks) June 21 – July 18, 2020, Virginia Tech Program begins at 2 p.m. (Engineering, Robotics +)
- Humanities (HUM) (4 weeks) June 21 – July 18, 2020, Radford University Program begins at 1 p.m.
- Mathematics, Science, and Technology (MST) (4 weeks) June 28– July 25, 2020, Lynchburg College Program begins at 2 p.m.
- Medicine and Health Sciences (MHS) (4 weeks) June 28 – July 25, 2020, Virginia Commonwealth University Program begins at 12 p.m.
- JLAB Mentorship (4 weeks) June 28 – July 25, 2020, Christopher Newport University Program begins at 3 p.m.
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science Mentorship (VIMS) (4 weeks) June 28 – July 25, 2020, Christopher Newport University Program begins at 3 p.m.
- Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) (4 weeks) June 21 – July 18, 2020, Radford University Program begins at 1 p.m.
- Governor's World Language Academies (GWLA) June 22- July 13 Washington & Lee University (Separate Program) *
*The GWLA Applications are due to me by January 9, 2020.
All other student applications are due to the VDOE by February 25 2020, therefore, I will need all applications no later than February 14, 2019. The state and the district split the cost for accepted SRGS students. Foreign Language Academies have different requirements and dates. I will be happy to answer any questions there or by firstname.lastname@example.org 804-780-7805
(Please note that this year each program has a unique application)