We want to thank you for accepting the challenge of participating in sports for Armstrong High School. We hope that this will be a rewarding experience as a Student-Athlete learning your chosen sport and the value of teamwork. Our staff is comprised of coaches who are interested in the overall development of each and every participant and we strive to be role models on and off the field of play. Thank you for your commitment to the team!
Expectations (The Three A's)
Academics: First and foremost, you are a student at Armstrong High School and we do not take that lightly. We understand that your education comes before any extra-curricular activity and will support you in any way possible in regards to tutoring, twilight school, etc. Please do not hesitate to let the coaches know if there is a need in that area.
Attitude: To be a part of any school activity is a privilege and we hope that you exhibit a positive attitude in the classroom, in the halls of the school, and on the field. Attitude is everything; and we want good citizens as well as someone who is willing to be coached. The AHS Athletic Program prides itself on self-discipline; therefore we do not support nor condone any negative behaviors that will result in referrals or suspensions. We must understand our position as school leaders and use self-control at all times as we go about our day.
Athletics: Being a part of a team is a great way to learn how to lead, follow, work together and overcome adversity. That’s why this opportunity is something that will prepare you as you transition to college, the military or post-secondary employment. We expect your best in every area, your willingness to learn, and your passion to compete.
Per Virginia High School League (VHSL) and Richmond Public Schools (RPS); each semester the student shall be enrolled in no fewer than five subjects, or their equivalent, offered for credit and which may be used for graduation. The following academic standards must be met and maintained:
- Rising 9th Graders: All rising 9th graders who otherwise meet the qualifications for participation in VHSL activities will be deemed eligible to participate in VHSL activities for the first semester of the upcoming school year.
- Rising 10th, 11th, and 12 Graders: All rising 10th, 11th, and 12th graders who otherwise meet the qualifications for participation in VHSL activities will be deemed eligible to participate in VHSL activities for the first semester of the upcoming school year if:
o The student passed 5 courses in the previous semester
o The student’s cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or better; or
o The student had a 2.0 or better grade point average in the preceding semester
The following students are allowed to participate in the athletic program at Armstrong High School:
- Students currently enrolled at Armstrong High School
- Students who attend the following specialty schools and also live in the Armstrong zone:
- Franklin Military Academy
- Richmond Community High School
- Open High School
Note: Students who are homeschooled or attend non-affiliated private schools are not eligible for participation.
Girls Cross Country, Boys Cross Country, Cheerleading, JV & Varsity Football, Boys & Girls Volleyball, Club Golf
Indoor Boys & Girls Track, Girls JV & Varsity Basketball, Boys - Ninth grade, JV & Varsity, Basketball, Wrestling, Cheerleading
Outdoor Boys & Girls Track, Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Soccer, Boys & Girls Tennis