2020 Virtual Reopening Plan
December 7, 2020 Update - RPS has officially announced that we will remain completely virtual for the second semester beginning on February 8, 2021. Further updates will be shared in RPS Direct and within this section of our website.
This section of our website will be updated regularly with information and resources you may need as RPS continues to conduct the 2020-2021 school year virtually and we encourage you to visit frequently.
Use the site navigation (on the left on desktops or using the + sign at the top of the page on mobile devices) or the icons below of frequently accessed topics to find the information you need.
RPS Direct Update (PM) - January 21, 2021
Dear #RPSStrong Family,Just a few updates and reminders tonight:
With great appreciation,JasonShout-outs! – Please keep sending them to me at email@example.com. Thank you!
- This week's edition of RPS Live! is TOMORROW, January 22, from 4 - 5 pm. For the first 30 minutes, I’ll be joined by RPS nurses and a representative from the Richmond City Health District to answer more of your questions about the COVID-19 vaccine. For the second half hour, I’ll dive into our proposed budget for next year. I hope you can join for these important conversations!
- This coming Monday, January 25, is a teacher work day so there won't be any classes or meal distribution. Families can pick up an extra meal at our food distribution sites TOMORROW, January 22.
- Thank you to all employees who have completed the RPS Intent Form for the 2021-22 school year. As a reminder, it's due TOMORROW, January 22. If you have any questions, please contact LaTonya Leigh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Congressman Donald McEachin is hosting his annual essay contest in celebration of Black History Month for middle and high school students. Please see the flyer below for details. All essays must be submitted by February 15.
- Finally, one logistical note: if you hit "reply" to this email, you're not actually sending a note to me; you're sending it to our communications team. If you'd like to reach me directly, please email me at email@example.com. Thanks!
NextUp RVA – Calling all middle and high schoolers! If math class can be online, then why not dance, art, cooking, or coding? Live, online enrichment classes are now available – for free – to RPS middle school and high school students through NextUp RVA’s new online portal. Registration for the upcoming Winter II and Spring sessions is now underway!Scholarships – The Dream Project Scholarship is awarded to immigrant students who demonstrate academic achievement, leadership, community involvement, and perseverance in the face of adversity. The application closes on February 1.Dominion Energy is awarding $500,000 in scholarships in 2021 to assist African-American and underrepresented students who reside in the company’s service area. The scholarships will be the first made under the Dominion Energy Educational Equity Scholarship Program, a six-year, $10 million initiative. The application closes on January 25.Facilitated Learning Centers – As a reminder, there are still seats available at the "facilitated learning centers" serving RPS students. See below for details.
- I want to give a shout out to Valenta Wade! She is professional in all that she does. She is responsive, thoughtful, reflective, encouraging, seeks feedback, humble, detail oriented, and honest. Everything that you would want from a DDOT!! She is leading a large school division through testing during a deadly pandemic. She deserves to be recognized!!
- I would love to send a shout-out to Mrs. Boyd at River City Middle School! She looks after each of her students as if they were her own. She is always so supportive and encouraging to other faculty and has been a light for me in the harder times. She is always reflective of what Teach With Love looks like. Keep soaring, Red Tail!
- I would like to shout out Mr. Hambright at River City Middle School, who has been an amazing teacher to be on a team with. He is full of guidance and endless support for the staff around him. He has been a great resource for all RPS science teachers with his science curriculum framework, and he pours everything he's got into his students! I'm grateful to work alongside his heart and dedication! Keep crushing it, Hambright!
- I would like to shout out Michelle Hudacsko for being so amazing to not only me, but to everyone. As a new principal learning the ropes, she is always there offering clear guidance. She is consistently kind, and always efficient in getting answers and results. Even to write this shout out, words escape me to really convey how valuable you are to this division. You really are a rockstar!!!
- I would like to shout out Judy Deichman for agreeing to meet with River City Middle School staff on Saturday and take them around in the Lit Limo to distribute anchor texts to students who need them for the second semester ELA reading unit. She is going above and beyond. I would also like to shout out Lailah Rajab Bland and her River City ELA team for being willing to go out on a Saturday to distribute books to their students.
RPS Love Store – Show your RPS Love and help us raise money for RPS families in need and local racial justice non-profits by ordering something today from the RPS Love Store!Crisis Support – Please reach out if you need help.
- Peter Paul Development Center is running a facilitated learning center at MLK MS for 2nd-8th grade RPS students. The full-day option goes from 9 am until 6 pm, and is completely free for low-income families. To learn more, click here.
- The YMCA is is running facilitated learning centers at Miles Jones ES, Holton ES, and Huguenot HS for K-8th grade RPS students. The full-day option goes from 7:30 am until 6 pm, and is completely free for low-income families. To learn more, click here.
- There are also many other facilitated learning centers not housed in RPS schools across the city. To learn more, click here.
Important Links – I'll note in orange when there have been additions/updates so you you won't miss anything.#ReopenWithLove Links
- Mental Health – Call the Richmond Behavioral Health Authority crisis line at (804) 819-4100.
- Domestic Violence – Call the YWCA Greater Richmond regional hotline at (804) 612-6126.
- Child Abuse – Call the Virginia Child Protective Services crisis line at (800) 552-7096.
- Suicide – Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255.
Local, State, and National Public Health Links
- #ReopenWithLove Section of the RPS Website
- Meal Distribution
- Tech Support
- Family Support Line (804-780-6195)
Local, State, and National Public Education Links
- Richmond City Health District
- City of Richmond COVID-19 Updates
- RVA Strong (Hub for Local Support)
- Cigna (RPS Healthcare Provider)
- Virginia Department of Health
- Virginia COVIDWISE app
- Centers for Disease Control
Translate Our Website!
Traducir nuestro sitio web | Traduire notre site Web | ترجمة موقعنا | Tafsiri Tovuti yetu
Please see below for instructions in multiple languages for how to access the translation functionality of our website.
English: To receive updated information in your native language and to learn where you may receive assistance during this time away from school, visit rvaschools.net and select the "translate" option at the top of the page.
Amharic/ አማርኛ: በአፍ መፍቻ ቋንቋዎ የተዘመኑ መረጃዎችን ለመቀበል እና በዚህ ትምህርት ቤት በሚዘጋበት ወቅት እንደ ምግብ ያለ ድጋፍ የት እንደሚያገኙ ለማወቅ ፣ የ rvaschools.net ን ይጎብኙ እና በገጹ አናት ላይ ያለውን “ትርጉም” አማራጭ ይምረጡ ፡፡
Arabic: لمعرفة المكان الذي قد تتلقى فيه المساعدة مثل الطعام أثناء إغلاق المدرسة ، حدد خيار "الترجمة" في أعلى الصفحة.
French/Français: Pour recevoir des informations mises à jour dans votre langue maternelle et savoir où vous pouvez recevoir de l'aide comme de la nourriture pendant cette fermeture d'école, visitez rvaschools.net et sélectionnez l'option "traduire" en haut de la page.
Spanish/Español: Para recibir información actualizada en su idioma nativo y saber dónde puede recibir asistencia como alimentos durante el cierre de esta escuela, visite www.rvaschools.net y seleccione la opción "traducir" en la parte superior de la página.
Swahili/Kiswahili: Kupokea habari iliyosasishwa katika lugha yako ya asili na kujifunza wapi unaweza kupata msaada kama chakula wakati wa kufunga shule hii, tembelea rvaschools.net na uchague chaguo la "kutafsiri" juu ya ukurasa.
Additional Language Resource: If you use the website browser, Chrome, you can also add a Google Translate extension that will translate any page on the internet.