2020 Virtual Reopening Plan
December 7, 2020 Update - RPS has officially announced that we will remain completely virtual for the second semester beginning on February 8, 2021. Further updates will be shared in RPS Direct and within this section of our website.
This section of our website will be updated regularly with information and resources you may need as RPS continues to conduct the 2020-2021 school year virtually and we encourage you to visit frequently.
Use the site navigation (on the left on desktops or using the + sign at the top of the page on mobile devices) or the icons below of frequently accessed topics to find the information you need.
RPS Direct Update (PM) - January 22, 2021
Dear #RPSStrong Family,I have some important updates regarding the COVID-19 vaccinations scheduled for next week. Due to the national vaccine shortage, the Virginia Department of Health is rescheduling RPS employees who were previously registered for January 25, 26, 30, and 31. (See the FAQs below for more information.) Of note:
Thank you again for your continued flexibility and grace as we work together with our public health colleagues to vaccinate as many RPS employees as quickly as possible.With great appreciation,Jason
- If your appointment is on Monday, January 25, it will be moved to a new time on Friday, January 29.
- If your appointment is on Tuesday, January 26, it will be moved to the same time on Wednesday, February 3.
- If your appointment is on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday (January 27, 28, or 29), there will be no changes.
- If your appointment is on Saturday, January 30, your appointment will be moved to the same time on Thursday, February 4.
- If your appointment is on Sunday, January 31, your appointment will be moved to the same time on Friday, February 5.
- If you were originally scheduled for next Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, or Sunday, you will receive an automated confirmation of your new appointment from “Acuity Scheduling” in the coming days.
- On Monday, January 25, RPS nurses will begin reaching out to everyone impacted by these changes to provide assistance.
1. Why the change?The regional team responsible for administering vaccines at the Richmond Raceway was originally informed that 8,000 doses would arrive for next week. The localities involved (Richmond, Henrico, Hanover, and Goochland) scheduled eligible employees accordingly. Today, the region was informed that it will receive only 4,000 doses for next week, and then another 4,000 doses for the week after that. In addition, the doses will now arrive on Tuesdays (instead of Mondays). As a result, many appointments need to be rescheduled.2. Will people who already received their first dose be able to get their second dose?Yes. All supplies account for second doses.3. When will the next batch of doses arrive?VDH informs local health districts weekly about vaccine supply for the following week. Beyond the 8,000 doses noted above (4,000 for next week and 4,000 for the week after), we do not know how many additional doses will arrive, or when. As soon as we do, I'll be sure to share the information in my RPS Direct.4. Will the vaccination effort at the Richmond Raceway continue?Yes. The region is committed to keeping the mass vaccination effort at the Richmond Raceway open for as long as it takes to get eligible employees vaccinated under Virginia’s Phase 1B.5. If I have other questions, what should I do?Shout-outs! – Please keep sending them to me at email@example.com. Thank you!
NextUp RVA – Calling all middle and high schoolers! If math class can be online, then why not dance, art, cooking, or coding? Live, online enrichment classes are now available – for free – to RPS middle school and high school students through NextUp RVA’s new online portal. Registration for the upcoming Winter II and Spring sessions is now underway!Scholarships – The Dream Project Scholarship is awarded to immigrant students who demonstrate academic achievement, leadership, community involvement, and perseverance in the face of adversity. The application closes on February 1.Facilitated Learning Centers – As a reminder, there are still seats available at the "facilitated learning centers" serving RPS students. See below for details.
- A huge shout out to Johnna Parker at River City Middle School. Ms. Parker skillfully guides many of our families through technology setup and troubleshooting when they are being welcomed to our district or when things aren't quite right. Ms. Parker's ever-growing wealth of technology skills and knowledge have made her shine even brighter as a valued partner.
- I'd love to shout Tess Short. She's our instructional specialist for secondary school counselors and she has absolutely rocked it in her new position. She's been so intentional in getting to know each and every counselor personally, she's making sure we are equipped and ready for our jobs, and she's extremely humble. She even offered to drive 40+ minutes to bring me anything I needed when I was sick and checked in numerous times to make sure I was okay. She's truly someone who cares.
- Thank you to Mathew Stanley, who helped John Marshall kick off our 1st Tap N Thursday Facebook Live/Zoom broadcast! Mathew, it was a huge success and we couldn't have done it without you! Your patience and persistence gave us the confidence to pull it together. Thank you supporting with love.
- A big thank you to Ms. Wichtendahl and her amazing class of 2nd graders at Linwood Holton for welcoming some new faces into their classroom this week. I appreciate Ms. Wichtendahl’s willingness to welcome new faces into the virtual classroom setting so my daughter’s teacher could focus on a family emergency. I know combining classes threw a major curve ball to their week, but Ms. Wichtendahl and her students handled it with such patience and care.
- Kudos to our school social worker, Mrs. Shawmika Wright. Mrs. Wright truly has a heart of gold, and does everything that she can to support our families and staff at RPS. She is one of the hardest working people I've ever known, and I want her to know how much she is appreciated. She is professional, thorough, and reliable beyond words. She is the backbone of our school, and we couldn't do it without her. Thank you, Mrs. Wright, we love you so!
- Sending a huge shout out to Señor Isom at Lucille Brown Middle School. Mr. Isom keeps his students engaged by planning interactive, exciting lessons. He is very creative and thinks outside of the box. The students have ample opportunity to participate, ask questions, and share during his classes. I've heard such great feedback from both students and parents alike. Mr. Isom, we see you and applaud all that you are doing to make virtual learning engaging. Thank you!!!!
- Shout out to Mrs. Sherita Holoman, assistant principal at G.H. Reid Elementary, for her leadership, kindness, and consistency. Mrs. Holoman always shows up ready to work hard with a smile on her face. Working alongside this incredible woman feels like working alongside family. Thank you for all that you do. You are truly loved and appreciated!!!
RPS Love Store – Show your RPS Love and help us raise money for RPS families in need and local racial justice non-profits by ordering something today from the RPS Love Store!Crisis Support – Please reach out if you need help.
- Peter Paul Development Center is running a facilitated learning center at MLK MS for 2nd-8th grade RPS students. The full-day option goes from 9 am until 6 pm, and is completely free for low-income families. To learn more, click here.
- The YMCA is is running facilitated learning centers at Miles Jones ES, Holton ES, and Huguenot HS for K-8th grade RPS students. The full-day option goes from 7:30 am until 6 pm, and is completely free for low-income families. To learn more, click here.
- There are also many other facilitated learning centers not housed in RPS schools across the city. To learn more, click here.
Important Links – I'll note in orange when there have been additions/updates so you you won't miss anything.#ReopenWithLove Links
- Mental Health – Call the Richmond Behavioral Health Authority crisis line at (804) 819-4100.
- Domestic Violence – Call the YWCA Greater Richmond regional hotline at (804) 612-6126.
- Child Abuse – Call the Virginia Child Protective Services crisis line at (800) 552-7096.
- Suicide – Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255.
Local, State, and National Public Health Links
- #ReopenWithLove Section of the RPS Website
- Meal Distribution
- Tech Support
- Family Support Line (804-780-6195)
Local, State, and National Public Education Links
- Richmond City Health District
- City of Richmond COVID-19 Updates
- RVA Strong (Hub for Local Support)
- Cigna (RPS Healthcare Provider)
- Virginia Department of Health
- Virginia COVIDWISE app
- Centers for Disease Control
Translate Our Website!
Traducir nuestro sitio web | Traduire notre site Web | ترجمة موقعنا | Tafsiri Tovuti yetu
Please see below for instructions in multiple languages for how to access the translation functionality of our website.
English: To receive updated information in your native language and to learn where you may receive assistance during this time away from school, visit rvaschools.net and select the "translate" option at the top of the page.
Amharic/ አማርኛ: በአፍ መፍቻ ቋንቋዎ የተዘመኑ መረጃዎችን ለመቀበል እና በዚህ ትምህርት ቤት በሚዘጋበት ወቅት እንደ ምግብ ያለ ድጋፍ የት እንደሚያገኙ ለማወቅ ፣ የ rvaschools.net ን ይጎብኙ እና በገጹ አናት ላይ ያለውን “ትርጉም” አማራጭ ይምረጡ ፡፡
Arabic: لمعرفة المكان الذي قد تتلقى فيه المساعدة مثل الطعام أثناء إغلاق المدرسة ، حدد خيار "الترجمة" في أعلى الصفحة.
French/Français: Pour recevoir des informations mises à jour dans votre langue maternelle et savoir où vous pouvez recevoir de l'aide comme de la nourriture pendant cette fermeture d'école, visitez rvaschools.net et sélectionnez l'option "traduire" en haut de la page.
Spanish/Español: Para recibir información actualizada en su idioma nativo y saber dónde puede recibir asistencia como alimentos durante el cierre de esta escuela, visite www.rvaschools.net y seleccione la opción "traducir" en la parte superior de la página.
Swahili/Kiswahili: Kupokea habari iliyosasishwa katika lugha yako ya asili na kujifunza wapi unaweza kupata msaada kama chakula wakati wa kufunga shule hii, tembelea rvaschools.net na uchague chaguo la "kutafsiri" juu ya ukurasa.
Additional Language Resource: If you use the website browser, Chrome, you can also add a Google Translate extension that will translate any page on the internet.