Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
815 North 35th Street
(35th Street between "N" & "O" Street)
The classes for hard-of-hearing students were relocated to Bacon in 1938-39. The school closed September 30, 1958, and the pupils were transferred to East End Junior High. On October 1, 1958, Nathaniel Bacon reopened for Negro pupils from Chimborazo and George Mason Schools.
A ten-classroom addition was built in 1960. During the period 1970-81 and 1982-88, Bacon was used as an annex of East End Middle School, under the same administration. (In 1981-82, the south wing was leased to Tiny Angels Child Care Center.) The Humanities Center was housed at Bacon from 1982-86.
Nathaniel Bacon was closed in June 1988, and declared surplus to the City, October 4, 1988.
1915-1916 - 380
Sept. 1958 - 264 (final white)
Oct. 1958 - 351
Sept. 1961 - 773
1969-1970 - 681 (final elementary)
Charles M. Robinson
(1960) Alan McCullough
$ 40,000 (approximately)
(1960) - $355,350
1915-1926 - J. H. Fentress (also Chimborazo Principal)
1917-1926 - Josephine Halloran (Assistant Principal) Anne
1926-1954 - Zuleime Robertson
1954-1956 - Ben F. Saunders, Jr. (Acting)
1956-1957 - Winston Carter Bleight
1957-1958 - Oscar Willard Fary, Jr.
1958-1961 - Joseph Thomas Bright (also Geo. Mason Prin.)
1961-1970 - William Waddell Craighead
See: East End Middle School