Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Bainbridge (Elementary) School
(Bainbridge Street between 14th & 15th Streets)
Acquired by the annexation of Manchester in 1910, the 1888 building was an eight-room, three-story brick structure. In 1912, an auditorium addition was built.
For several years, this school appears to have been supervised directly by the Administration. Because of its proximity to Powhatan School, it then came under the supervision of the principal of that school.
In September 1915, Bainbridge School began to appear on the record as Powhatan No. 2, avoiding confusion with the newly organized Bainbridge Junior High School which opened in the adjacent block.
1909-1910 956 (grades 1-7)
1910-1911 668 (grades 1-4)
1912 Charles M. Robinson
1910-1915 Assistant Superintendent and others; no assigned principal
Powhatan No. 2