Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Bainbridge (Junior High) Middle School
1601 Bainbridge Street
Bainbridge housed an open air program and, until 1920, an elementary program (fifth grade). The original building had 23 regular schoolrooms, two open-air rooms, and an auditorium that seated 1,000. The 1914-15 annual report contains floor plan and picture of Bainbridge School by School Architect Charles M. Robinson. In 1926, two additions enlarged the cafeteria and provided classrooms and a domestic science center. A gymnasium was added in 1938-39, through a Public Works Administration grant.
When Bainbridge was closed in 1975 because the coal-fired furnaces did not meet the provisions of the Clean Air Act of 1970, students were reassigned to Westover Hills, Thompson, Albert Hill, and Binford.
Bainbridge was declared surplus to the City, November 1, 1977 (exclusive of the gymnasium which became part of Muray School). Bainbridge has sine been demolished, and a medical center has been build on the site.
1915-1916 492 (grades 6-8) + 233 (grade 5)
1932-1933 1,004 (grades 7-8)
Charles M. Robinson
Contract Cost 101,000
1926 Addition 30,443
1915-1916 Emma J. Lamb (Acting)
1916-1918 W.C. Blakey
1918-1946 Emma J. Lamb
1946-1953 Leslie Eley Bush
1953-1954 Oscar Willard Fary, Jr. (Acting)
1954-1964 Lesly ely Bush
1964-1973 James E. Daniero
1973-1975 Joe Louis Simmons