Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Barton Heights Colored School
200 Wickham Street
(Corner Wickham Street & Miller Avenue)
The original 1906 building (on Wickham Street) was destroyed by fire in 1977; it was then operating as Albert V. Norrell Annex.
1914-1915: 508 elementary + 39 high school (transferred to John Marshall)
1914-1916 - Joseph E. Healy
1916-1917 - F.R.Garth
1917-1922 - Jack M. Davis
George Thorpe School