Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
In 1871, the school had five teachers; the City purchased and refitted the building, subsequently enclosing the gallery with a sliding partition to secure an additional room. The interior of the building was entirely reconstructed in 1976, adding six rooms. According to the 1879-80 annual report: "Additional rooms are in course of construction at Bethel School..."
Bethel enrolled the upper grade pupils from the school on Nicholson Street in Rocketts (Fulton) which was under the same supervision and considered a part of this school.
The school was closed June 1887, replaced by the new Marshall School at 19th and Marshall Streets. The 1890-91 annual report states that Bethel "has been sold."
1873-1874 - 330
1886-1887 - 763 (capacity 564)
1871 - $4,000
1976 - 4,034 (improvements)
1871-1872 - William F. Fox (Superintendent 1889-1909)
1872-1873 - E.K. Murray
1873-1887 - Julian P. Thomas