Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
2411 Bainbridge Street
(Corner Bainbridge & 25th Streets)
This eight-room, "semi-permanent" school building opened in September 1955, as an annex to the Blackwell School which was greatly overcrowded. It was under the Blackwell administration and for the most part was a primary grade school.
From 1961-70, the building housed Community Training Center, a special education school for trainable pupils.
In the early 1970's, the building was once again used as an annex of Blackwell School.
During the years 1979-88, a pupil personnel unit (social work services) operated from this location.
The building was declared surplus to the City, September 20, 1988.
Walford & Wright
Community Training Center