Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
700 Blanton Avenue
(Corner Blanton Avenue & Grant Street)
This residence was purchased from the Home of American Legion Post Corporation. From 1957-1968, it housed Park School for mentally handicapped pupils of junior high school age.
From time to time, other programs have been located in this building, including:
1968-1971 Richmond Trades Training Center
1971-1972 Humanities Center
1972-1974 Park Program for pregnant girls
1975-1976 Center for Staff Development & Curriculum Planning
1976-1988 Cary School Annex
Blanton (House) Building was declared surplus to the city April 18, 1989.