Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Bowler School (J. Andrew)
608 North 26th Street
(26th Street between Leigh & 'M' Streets)
Previously known as Springfield, this was the first white school on Church Hill to be converted into a Negro school. At that time (1948), the name was changed to honor a highly respected civic leader, minister, and teacher (East End/George Mason). J. Andrew Bowler, first pastor of Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, 1223 North 25th Street, is depicted there in a stained glass window.
Bowler was discontinued as an elementary school in 1972. From 1972-75, it operated as a middle school, housing the sixth grade of East End. In 1975, the students were relocated to East End-Bacon.
Bowler housed the Bellevue program in 1975-77, while that building was undergoing renovation.
Bowler was declared surplus to the City, June 30, 1979. It was used by R-CAP for a number of years and is currently being advertised for private development.
1948-1949 - 817 (pupils from George Mason)
1971-1972 - 638 (final elementary)
1974-1975 - 367 (final)
1948-1972 - Linwood Thomas Binford
1972-1973 - William Murray Clayborne
1973-1975 - Fred Adolphus Cooper