Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Broad Rock School
4615 Ferguson Lane
This elementary school was acquired from Chesterfield County by the annexation of 1970, and was presumably named for the community in which it is located.
Broad Rock was built in 1937, with additions in 1949, 1959, and 1967. The building covers 43,279 square feet and includes 21 classrooms, an auditorium, and a library. Renovations were made to the library and office area in 1989. Under Plan III, Broad Rock was paired with Whitcomb Court.
1970-1971 - 493
1991-1992 - 388
1989 - Ballou, Justice & Upton
1970-1978 - David L. Daniels
1978-1979 - Raymond Joseph Gargiulo
1979-1986 - Robert J. Johnson
1986 - John Edward Dillard