Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Between Graham & Gilmer
Brook School was a "group of schools" (classes) for colored children, taught in rented facilities on Moore Street.
In 1899, it was reported that "the school heretofore taught on the grounds of the Moore Industrial School and the adjacent property and known as Brook School" would occupy the former armory for colored soldiers (Leigh and St. Peter Streets) and assume the name of Monroe School.
1889-1890 - 297
1898-1899 - 354
1889-1899 - Jacob L. Ezekiel