• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Brook Hill School/Building

  • 4929 Chamberlayne Avenue
    (Corner of Chamberlayne & Azalea Avenues)

    This school was acquired by annexation in 1942, having been named for the Henrico County section adjacent to a small stream (Brook Run). Its pupils were transferred in September of that year to Ginter Park School, and the building was used for storage.

    When Ginter Park School became overcrowded, Brook Hill was reopened (1948) as a Junior Primary Annex. The enrollment at Ginter Park began to diminish in the 1950s, and Brook Hill again became vacant.

    In September 1959, under an agreement with the Occupational Therapy Curative Workshop, the building was used "for the care and treatment of cerebral palsied children." The former Mayo School was then known as Brook Hill. The program for orthopedically handicapped children moved to the new Richmond Cerebral Palsy Center in March 1962. At that time, the Cooperative Training Center was transferred from the Navy Diesel School Building to Brook Hill where it remained unti11969. During the early years of Plan III, the Brook Hill Building was again used as an annex to Ginter Park. The Park program for pregnant girls was housed here in 1974-75. The building reverted to the designation of Brook Hill School in 1975-77, with an Education for Severely/Profoundly Retarded program under Title VI, Public Law 91230; approximately 32 students, ages 5-21, were served. From 1977­81, the special education program known as Adams Comer (multi-handicapped) was housed here.

    The REAL School occupied this building since 1982.

    Enrollment:

    1976-1977 - 45
     
    Head Teachers:

    1959-1962 - Ruby Lillaston Bristow
    1975-1977 - Geraldine Barnes Brandon

    See:
    Adams Corner & Ginter Park School