Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
900 Buchanan Street
(Corner Buchanan & Cedar/Carthage Streets)
This fourteen-room school was named for the street on which it was located. Buchanan School was built to replace the old Valley School which had been erected in 1816, at 15th and Marshall Streets, as a Lancasterian school.
Buchanan opened in 1912, and operated with large classes to a peak enrollment of 967. (The 1914-15 annual report includes a picture and floor plan of Buchanan School by School Architect Charles M. Robinson.) Additional playground space was secured in 1922-23.
From 1933-36, Buchanan operated with part-time classes through the 5th grade. In 1952, the old building was remodeled and an addition (four classrooms and auditorium-cafeteria) was constructed. The following year, a covered passageway was added between the old and new sections.
Buchanan School was eventually included in an area designated for redevelopment and was purchased by the RRHA (Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority) for $552,149.10. In June 1964, the building was closed and demolished the following month; the pupils and their records were transferred to the new Mosby Junior High and Elementary School.
1912-1913 - 616
1952-1953 - 685
June 1964 - 803 (final)
Charles M. Robinson
1952 Addition - Walford & Wright
1952 Addition - 390,605
1912-1933 J. T. Walker
1933-1959 John Lindsey Nixon
1959-1964 Leon Danfourth Hardin