• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Carver School (George Washington)

  • 1110 West Leigh Street and 1113 West Moore Street

    Named for the noted Negro scientist, George Washington Carver (1864-1943). This school was originally called Moore School or Moore Street School because the 1886-87 building fronted on Moore Street; the modem building of 1951 fronts on Leigh Street. When this twenty-classroom, two-story brick addition (including auditorium, library, and cafeteria) was occupied, the two earlier buildings were renovated and the school was renamed.

    Carver was one of eight elementary school renovation projects in 1980. An annex of Carver operated from the Katherine L. Johnson Building until the 1992-93 session, when a sixteen-classroom addition to the 1951 building was occupied.

    The enrollment of Carver (Moore) School has varied considerably. At different times when those schools were closed, it absorbed pupils from Newtown, Elba, and Westwood schools; for many years it also housed seventh grade pupils from Randolph School. On the other hand, enrollment declined when houses were razed to make room for the Richmond Petersburg Turnpike and the accompanying rehabilitation program.

    Under Plan III, Carver was paired with Fisher. Other programs have operated from quarters at Carver: the Park program for pregnant girls (1975-79), "Plan G" coordinating principals' offices (1979-83), Richmond Community High School (1979-86), and Educare (1991-92). The Westhampton exceptional education program relocated here in 1992.

    Enrollment:

    1951-1952 - 1,321
    1991-1992 - 815 (included Carver Annex)
     
    Architect:

    1951 Addition - Marcellus Wright & Son
    1980 Renovation - SW A Partnership
    1992 Addition - Bond, Comet, Westmoreland & Galusha
     
    Cost:

    1951 Addition - $ 675,200
    1980 Renovation - 113,139
    1992 Addition - 1,537,078
     
    Principals:

    1951-1972 Oscar Albert Morton
    1972-1973 Linwood Thomas Binford
    1973-1978 William Waddell Craighead
    1978-1984 Beverly Whitaker Braxton
    1984-1985 Barbara Radcliffe Grey
    1985-1989 Delores R. Pitt
    1989­ George A. Crockett

    See:
    Moore (Moore Street) School