Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Cary (John B.) School
(Maplewood Avenue between Belmont Avenue & Sheppard Street)
This school was built on the so-called "Rueger Property." At the request of the Parent-Teacher Association, the new school retained the designation of Cary for the school it replaced (2100 Idlewood Avenue) which had been named for a former Superintendent of Richmond Public Schools. The new Cary opened in September 1954, with Junior Primary-grade 6. The student population included transfers from Albert H. Hill, Robert E. Lee, and old Cary schools.
In 1969, following a citizen's group petition to the School Board, Cary was designated as a model school with an open enrollment policy. Cary was recognized by the U. S. Department of Education as one of Virginia's most outstanding elementary schools in 1987 and 1988. Currently, the curriculum focuses on critical and creative thinking skills with Cary's "academic enrichment" theme.
From 1976-88, an annex of Cary was operated from the Blanton House. The PTA provided a model playground in 1977-78. A two-phase building project provided a classroom addition in 1987 and interior renovations to the office area, gymnatorium, and library (1989).
1954-1955 - 468
1991-1992 - 441
Walford & Wright - 1987-1989
Bond, Comet, Westmoreland & Galusha
1987 - 580,773
1989 - 569,106
1954-1969 Edward Chester Beauvais
1969-1970 Jane K. Owens
1970-1974 Charles Worrell Gurkin
1974-1979 Barbara Radcliffe Grey
1979-1992 Russell LeRoy Cooley
1992- Anna M. Gee
John B. Cary School (old)