Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Cary (John B.) School (Old)
(Idlewood Avenue between Roland Street & Shields Avenue)
Named for (Colonel) John Barry Cary. Superintendent of Richmond Public Schools 1886-89. The 1914-15 annual report includes a picture and floor plan of Cary School by School Architect Charles M. Robinson.
The building was occupied in September 1913 as a replacement for Sidney School (white). It was renamed West End School when the new Cary School opened in September 1954; the pupils were transferred to the new Cary and Fox.
1913-1914 - 858 (kindergarten-grade 7)
1953-1954 - 454
Charles M. Robinson
1913-1954 - Clarence H. Dun away*
*In 1975, a portrait of Mr. Dunaway was transferred through the Lancaster County Schools to the Mary Ball Museum & Library.
John B. Cary School
Sidney School (white)
West End School