Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
407 North 12th Street
(12th Street between Confederate Museum and MCV)
This school was built on property known as "the Grant lot"; it replaced the original Central School which was housed "next door" in the Davis Mansion or White House of the Confederacy. City Council donated that property to the ladies of the Confederate Memorial Literary Society and appropriated $43,000 in city bonds for the School Board to purchase a lot and erect another school building.
The new Central School opened May 25, 1894; in 1909, it was renamed Ruffner School when the area could no longer be called the central part of the city.
1908-1909 - 520
Building record incomplete
1894-1903 Stephen T. Pendleton
1903-1909 W. Asa Crenshaw
Central School (old)