• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Chandler (J.A.C.) Junior High/Middle School

  • 201 East Brookland Park Boulevard
    (Brookland Park Boulevard between Lamb & Woodrow Avenues)

    This three-story building, previously known as Northside Junior High School, was renamed in 1930 to honor Dr. J. A. C. Chandler, Superintendent of Richmond Public Schools 1909-19. An oil painting of Dr. Chandler was presented by the 1939 senior class.

    Chandler was the first white Richmond public school to enroll Negro pupils; two were admitted in 1960. Mechanical improvements (heating) were made in 1956. The administrative area was air-conditioned, and heating changes were made in1965-66.

    In 1971-72 and 1972-73, Chandler's sixth grade was at Norrell Annex. The middle school program was relocated to Henderson when it opened in January 1974, and Chandler then housed a special education center. During the period 1976-77, Chandler was one of the buildings that temporarily housed the Norrell program, following detection of methane gas in that school's immediate area. The Chandler Building was also utilized by Northside Alternative Middle School & Chandler Vocational Center, Career Exploratory Middle School (CEMS), and Stuart School during its 1989-90 renovation.

    Chandler was declared surplus on April 18, 1989, with an indefinite effective date; it was officially turned over to the City on February 5, 1991. In May 1992, City Council authorized the expenditure of $2.4 million from the Richmond Metropolitan Authority Reserve Account to renovate the Chandler Building for school use.

    The Richmond School Board voted unanimously February 17, 2009 to close Chandler Middle School at the end of the 2008-2009 school year. The Chandler Middle School  building now houses Richmond Community High School.

    Enrollment:

    1972-1973 - 969 (final)
     
    Cost:

    1956 - $100,961
     
    Principals:

    1930-1942 Coalter C. Hancock
    1942-1952 Algar Woolfolk
    1952-1960 Alvin F. Beale
    1960-1966 John Benedict Madden
    1966-1973 Jack P. Thomas

    See:
    Northside Junior High School