Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Cherry Street School
Cherry Street near Hollywood
According to the 1871-72 annual report, these were rented quarters ($55.50 per month) for white pupils with a capacity of 191 seats; the principal was Lucille S. Cosby. "Mrs. E. D. Hundley was principal for October, November and December but was compelled to resign the position on account of delicate health. The buildings occupied by these schools are too remote and not adapted to our wants."
On January 1, 1872, the School Board authorized the purchase of a lot at the corner of Cary & Madison streets for the site of a new school. It was stated that the Cherry Street school was too distant, the school rooms very inferior, and the rental more than it ought to be for the accommodations. Madison School was occupied January 1, 1873.