Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Community Training Center
2411 Bainbridge Street
A program for severely retarded pupils operated in 1960-61 as George Washington Carver Training Center, 1113 West Moore Street. In September 1961, it became Community Training Center, housed in the Blackwell Annex at 25th and Bainbridge Streets. The school was discontinued.
1960-1970 - Zipporah Taylor Medford