Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Cooperative Training Center
This ungraded school for trainable pupils opened in 1953 with five teachers; it was operated by Richmond Public Schools and financially supported by Richmond and the counties of Chesterfield and Henrico. The Cooperative Training Center only accepted students so severely handicapped as to be deemed not educable.
The Cooperative Training Center operated from several locations; it was discontinued in 1974, and the program relocated to Amelia Street School.
1953-1962 - Navy Diesel School Building - Fourth Street and Gordon Avenue
1962-1969 - Brook Hill - 4929 Chamberlayne Avenue
1969-1974 - Virginia Randolph School - 2200 Mountain Road (Henrico County)
1959-1960 - 49
1973-1974 - 158
1953-1966 Gertrude Woltz Herrmann
1966-1971 Myron Morgan Yagel
1971-1974 Edith Loving Staples