Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
1501 North 21st Street
(Corner of 21st & "T" Streets)
This school was originally called Fairmount from its location in the Henrico County district that was annexed in 1906. In 1925, at the request of patrons, the school was renamed to honor its highly respected principal prior to annexation and thereafter until her death on April 26, 1924.
A 1949 addition provided auditorium, cafeteria, library, and offices; it was completed the following year.
The school returned to its original name of Fairmount when it was converted to a Negro school in September 1958. The white students were transferred to Highland Park and Nathaniel Bacon; transportation was provided for those sent to Nathaniel Bacon.
June 1958 - 306
1949 - Baskervill & Son
1949 - $344,053
1924-1947 C. B. Givens
1947-1952 Alvin F. Beale
1952-1955 Mary E. Ancell - (Acting 1952-1953)
1955-1958 Elizabeth Ancell Crouch