Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
17th & Maury Streets
This school was known as Maury when it was annexed from Manchester in 1910.
The three different buildings of this property (erected 1888, 1915, and 1950) were subsequently joined together. The 1915 annex gave the school a total of 18 classrooms; at that time, the name was changed to Dunbar in honor of the noted colored poet, Paul Laurence Dunbar.
The 1950 addition provided ten classrooms, homemaking and shop facilities, auditorium, library, and cafeteria; at the same time the old buildings were renovated.
In 1951, when a junior high school was organized, the name was changed to Blackwell.
1915 - Charles M. Robinson
1950 - Marcellus Wright & Son
1915 - $ 30,000
1950 - $ 642,800
1915-1924 C. B. Givens
1924-1950 Pitt S. Murrill
1950-1951 Murrell Hampton Winfree (Acting)
Maury School (colored)