Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
East End School
Corner 29th & "O" Streets
The first colored school in this vicinity was in 1869, in rented rooms near 26th & "N" Streets. As the public school system became more firmly established, the policy changed to one of building schools and eliminating rented facilities.
Thus on September 1, 1881, a lot (132x196 feet) was purchased at 29th & "0" Streets; a four-room frame building was completed and ready for occupancy December 10, 1881. The cost with lot, etc., was $3,472.55. This was followed by a new brick building in 1888, with six rooms and basement.
The two buildings were known as East End School until the name was changed to George Mason in 1909.
The 1881 section was eventually abandoned; it was demolished in 1974.
1881-1882 - 159
1886-1887 - 880
1908-1909 - 592
1881-1884 Thomas A. Pollard
1884-1886 George R. Pace
1886-1887 William O. English
1887-1888 Elihu Morrissette
1888-1909 Richard W. Flournoy*
*Commenting on Mr. Flournoy's retirement in 1909, Superintendent Fox wrote: "...he has come to be regarded as one of our best and most reliable principals."
George Mason School