• Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.

Educare

  • This alternative program was developed for students who have been removed from their home-based school placement. It was originally known as "Rebound" in 1987-88 and was co-sponsored by Richmond OIC (Opportunities Industrialization Center).

    Educare provides intensive academic instruction while offering outreach services and counseling to help the students develop a positive self-concept.

    The Educare program has been housed in several buildings:

    1989-1991 Mosby School - 1000 Mosby Street
    1991 (Mid-year) Adult Career Development Center - 119 West Leigh Street
    1991-1992 Carver School - 1110 West Leigh Street
    1992-1993 Katherine L. Johnson Building - 100 West Baker Street

    Enrollment:

    1991-1992 - 62
     
    Architect:
     
    Charles M. Robinson
     
    Administrators:

    1989-1991 Sandra T. Mitchell
    1991 (Mid-year) Jerry Dale Browder
    1991-1992 Beatrice Clark-Jones
    1992­ Hugo Harrison Thompson