Note: Much of the history of the Richmond Public Schools was recorded in the context of a segregated society, and the reader should readily discern between pre- and post-desegregation observations. The terms "black," "colored," "Negro," and "white" in this booklet should not be considered offensive as they have been used according to the custom of the particular period. Since 1962, the division has omitted such racial designations from its reports and publications.
Fairfield Court School
2510 Phaup Street
(Phaup Street at the Intersection with 26th Street)
Fairfield Court School was named for the nearby federal housing project; that name was derived from the Henrico County district which was annexed in 1942.
In 1956, the City bought a 13-acre plot in the East End for this school. Although more than ten acres of the property are in Henrico County, the parcel is contiguous with the city line and was therefore legally acquired by the City for recreational or educational purposes.
The building was opened in February 1958; classrooms were finished before the Fairfield Court housing project was ready for tenants. Ten classrooms were used during the spring semester for primary grades of the neighboring Woodville School. The following September, the school opened completely with Junior Primary-grade 6; the enrollment gradually increased as residents moved into the housing project, making it necessary to reorganize and add more teachers at intervals during the year.
A round building, occupied in January 1962, was designed with eight classrooms, each opening onto the "hub" or multi-purpose, common-use area. Remodeling/expansion in 1991 involved office, media center, classrooms, and connecting passageways. An air conditioning project is under way in 1992.
Under Plan III, Fairfield Court was paired with Greene.
June 1959 - 539
1991-1992 - 528
Walford & Wright
1961 - Kenneth G. Macllroy
1991 - Joseph Ladd & Associates
1961 - 118,058
1991 - 433,652
1958-1984 Fredie Parker Cooper
1984-1991 Elizabeth Byrd York
1991- Carolyn L. Spurlock